Wheel balancing?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This has been brought up previously probably on a number of occasions. Many people are not concerned about balancing the wheels on their caravan and even tyre fitters state it is not necessary. However IMHO it stops vibration in the caravan and you do not end up with open drawers when arriving at your destination. It may also help preventing cracks in the ABS occurring more a few years. I have no idea if it also help save a minute amount of fuel.

We had our wheel balanced a few years ago and were totally amazed at the weights that they had to fit. I think one was nearly 120gms. Most were about 50gms. When we have the tyres replaced within the next two years with mid range tyres we will pay the extra to have them balanced. It would be interesting to see if the weights will be as much. I am not sure how much influence the type or brand of tyre actually has on the balancing.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Had my tyres replaced at home on the drive and no extra cost for balancing, not sure I can notice the difference when towing but I have that added reassurance.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Having your caravan tyres balanced, will certainly help with reduced vibrations, especially as heavy fixed items, cooker and fridge are sited near the wheel arches. It will also help with vibrations to the caravan body, therefore reducing cracks.
Why go for mid range tyres to save maybe £20 a tyre, when you have a caravan worth over £20k. I fit premium tyres on my car and caravan.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why go for mid range tyres to save maybe £20 a tyre, when you have a caravan worth over £20k. I fit premium tyres on my car and caravan.

Which brand do you normally use? We have Continentals on our Jeep. In France on our previous caravan we had a blow out while parked up on a site. We could only replace the one tyre with a Michelin tyre at a cost of over £100 and it had to be the spare! In France you have to have the same type of tyre on each axle.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Which brand do you normally use? We have Continentals on our Jeep. In France on our previous caravan we had a blow out while parked up on a site. We could only replace the one tyre with a Michelin tyre at a cost of over £100 and it had to be the spare! In France you have to have the same type of tyre on each axle.
At the moment I have Hankook tyres on both the car and the caravan, Yes a non repairable puncture in France can be very expensive, that is yet another problem of touring over there.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Mine appear to be MaxMiler that were available in the right spec at the time - single axle 452 van. My Tucson has Hankook tyres all round, but seem to wear more rapidly than the Continentals I had on my fords previously, despite covering many fewer miles since I retired.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As others have pointed out wheel balancing can only be a good thing. This will prevent any particularly badly out of balance wheel contributing to increased wear an tear on the caravans structure or fittings.

It's also sensible to have dampers fitted if the chassis allows it.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I find most tyre places do it for free. But it is always best to ask if it is included when you get the quote, same with valves.

It is an absolute no brainer to have them done.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes this has been discussed before .
It is an absolute no brainer.
Most caravan tyres run at high pressures compared to the car. They are designed as such but I consider quality important. They are the only thing between your pride and joy and disaster.
Go for premium tyres, new valves and balanced.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Most caravan tyres run at high pressures compared to the car. They are designed as such but I consider quality important. They are the only thing between your pride and joy and disaster.
When i was looking at Caravans ,most vans i looked at still had original tyres from the manufacturer and they certainly don't fit premium tires when new. some were ditch finders ! brands i have never heard off.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think a lot of the tyres seem to be unknown brands but I think that this is because there are fewer manufacturers who supply the load rating needed. The well known brands work on the common sizes for cars. But I think that all tyres must meet quite stringent specifications.

John

Reactions: Fraseb01
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
I just replaced all 5 on my caravan the originals were Dmack tyres , not a brand i was familiar with but seeming supply good rally tyres.

And to be fare mine were 7 year old and still very good condition.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is difficult to get premium car tyres suitable for a trailer with a load rating of 90 or more.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

A big factor will be whether the caravan is a single or twin axle, where the load carrying is in the latter case halved for vans of similar mass.
Even a 2500 kg carried on four tyres is within the loading ranges seen for some "cars".

Whereas our, 1900 kg single axle puts it into "transit like" territory, and that reflects in the factory fit of Goodyear Cargo tyres set at 65psi cold inflation with that reaching about 72-75 psi running.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts