Wheel Covers for UV protection.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have been frustrated at the difficulty of covering the caravan wheels to protect them from the sun when the van is stored. I did buy elasticated covers, but these were useless as the gap between the wheel and the wheel arch is too small. I think this is the case with most modern caravans.

Then I cam across this sheet material available cheaply in DIY places. It is primarily for temporary floor protection. Very light and easily shaped with scissors or a Stanley knife.

I cut two pieces oversize to they tucked up under the wheel arch and secured the bottom as shown in the pictures. It also needed a length of double sided Velcro and a small piece of stick on Velcro.

I partly pinched the idea from a product that is available to hide as an awning draught stopper

https://www.jaiddesigns.co.uk/shop/draught-stoppa/ (Which are a good product in my opinion).

Mine is black and does not have the skirt rail and fits behind the wheel arch. We have had storms since fitting but they are still there.

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you change the tyres in line with the recommendation of 7 years from manufacture date it shouldn't be an issue to leave them uncovered - if you're trying to extend their life beyond the 7 years then covers are an excellent idea, along with annual tyre painting using paint with a high content of carbon-black.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you change the tyres in line with the recommendation of 7 years from manufacture date it shouldn't be an issue to leave them uncovered - if you're trying to extend their life beyond the 7 years then covers are an excellent idea, along with annual tyre painting using paint with a high content of carbon-black.
A bit contriversal, Why would you really want to "extend " the life past recomended 7 year limit, if that is what tyre makers recomend.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve not seen a tyre makers recommendation for life. After the horrendous accident on the northbound M5 near Bristol in September 2017 the law was changed to restrict the life of tyres to 10 years on certain categories of vehicle. Otherwise there’s no limit even for MOT.

I always changed mine at 5 years and used to spray the outer walls with Armorall, or equivalent rubber protectant.

Reactions: Kevin M
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I’ve not seen a tyre makers recommendation for life. After the horrendous accident on the northbound M5 near Bristol in September 2017 the law was changed to restrict the life of tyres to 10 years on certain categories of vehicle. Otherwise there’s no limit even for MOT.

I always changed mine at 5 years and used to spray the outer walls with Armorall, or equivalent rubber protectant.
OC, I have just checked up and most manufactures seem to say 10 years, but that is for a tyre on a car. Most tyre companies say we should get 20 k miles for front wheel drive cars for a pair of tyres. .
That doesn't sound right to me, but we have a friend that done only 500 mile in the year before covid lock down.
I think I will change my running tyres at 7 years old. On the caravan

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A bit contriversal, Why would you really want to "extend " the life past recomended 7 year limit, if that is what tyre makers recomend.
I don't disagree - but why would UV be an issue if they are being replaced within the 7 year recommendation?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

It is just a fact that UV is detrimental to tyres. I think it makes common sense to take simple precautions. The original tyres on my van failed at 3 years. It may or may not have been through over exposure, but they were crazed with cracks.

About 12 years ago, I found a brand new set of Michelin and rims on EBay for less than the cost of the tyres. Problem was they were 6 years old. But had been kept in a Peugeot main dealers stores for that time. I contacted Michelin for advice. They quickly replied to say absolutely no problem if they have been kept out of the sun.

So for me, taking simple precautions is a no brainer.

I also put the van on bricks for the winter storage. Easy enough and saves possible pressure damage.

But I have no problem of changing my tyres as recommended.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Difference between caravan tyres and cars is that car tyres used regularly even for low mileage retain the stabilising compounds evenly throughout the carcass.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I've made the same contraption from marine ply with a piano hinge across.
The van sits in full sun on one side and, like you, a simple job of covering that side of the van tyre helps prevent UV related issues. The other side, which is out of the sun and fairly close to a fence, I leave open.

As you say it's a no brainer and I wouldn't worry about justifying it for a second.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have used a sheet of plywood at one time but never bother now as when stored the wheels do not get that much sun. It possibly depends on where you keep it as to the need for this. I do know that one set of caravan tyres were cracking after six years on one caravan, but before that we got ten years out of a set. That was before we had the life span warning though.
As for the car I normally have got about 25,000 miles out of the front but the current one managed 32,000. The backs last far more although the last set only managed 36,000.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My off side tyre is in full sun all year. I have a sheet of 9mm ply to cover the wheel, Ran a peace of awning rail along it, so I can use it to fill the arch , when pitched on site.
Always change tyres every 5-6 years.

Reactions: Johnb and Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts