Wheel lock

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If I were looking for a wheel lock I would probably go for the Wraith in preference to the Alko which wasn't always the easiest to fit. I used the Alko when in storage or on the drive, but when touring I used a lighter weight Milenco one. I see the Alko as the most secure, with the Wraith being a bit less so, but more manageable when touring . My insurer the CMHC offered 10% discount for using the Alko, but did not specify any particular make or type. I didnt bother with accepting the 10% as at the time the T&C were not flexible.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hello Thomsond1 and welcome to the forums.
You haven't mentioned the year and make of your caravan or if it's a single or twin axle but, have you checked to see if it has a receiver for the Alko wheel lock. It's attached to nearside wheel drum. If it has, you can buy just the Alko locking device which I believe is the lock most favoured by insurance companies.
See here: https://www.al-ko-secure.co.uk/

Reactions: Cons
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You haven't mentioned the year and make of your caravan or if it's a single or twin axle but, have you checked to see if it has a receiver for the Alko wheel lock. It's attached to nearside wheel drum. If it has, you can buy just the Alko locking device which I believe is the lock most favoured by insurance companies.
What do you mean by "most favoured by insurance companies" ? Mine, the CMHC, gave a discount for using the Alko wheel lock but the T&Cs were restrictive so I declined. But other than that all they required was to use a wheel lock, which gave a wide selection to choose from pretty feeble to stronger more cable certified ones. For touring I used a lightweight Milenco, which met the insurers requirements but would have withstood attack for only a short while. But there again caravan thefts on sites are thankfully rare events. I would carry the Alko just in case I felt additional security was required, or the lightweight one failed for some reason , but never did fit it on site.

Feb 1, 2024
Visit site
The caravan is a 2023 Bailey Brindisi single axle.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
What do you mean by "most favoured by insurance companies" ? Mine, the CMHC, gave a discount for using the Alko wheel lock but the T&Cs were restrictive so I declined. But other than that all they required was to use a wheel lock, which gave a wide selection to choose from pretty feeble to stronger more cable certified ones. For touring I used a lightweight Milenco, which met the insurers requirements but would have withstood attack for only a short while. But there again caravan thefts on sites are thankfully rare events. I would carry the Alko just in case I felt additional security was required, or the lightweight one failed for some reason , but never did fit it on site.
I did say I believe it to be, not that it is!
Unless things have changed the AL-KO Secure is still the only Wheel Lock on the market that has been awarded Sold Secure to Diamond Standard. Of course, I'm willing to be corrected.
The caravan is a 2023 Bailey Brindisi single axle.
The spec of the Bailey Brindisi does show that an AlKo receiver is fitted but, doesn't mention that the lock itself is included. I'd do a visual check first to see if the receiver is there first. It might also be worth speaking to your insurance company to see which wheel locks they approve.
There is little doubt that the AlKo lock is a pain in the backside to fit. So, I use a SH5432 Stronghold Protector wheel lock for ease of fitment when leaving my caravan unattended on motorway service areas and the like for more than a few minutes.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I also use the Nemisis Ultra. Very similar to the Wraith, so if looking at either I would go for the cheaper of the two. I doubt there is any real difference in their security.

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
20240209_160411.jpg
Sorry I don't have the whole cover off, it was a quick pic, bit would that be the hitch lock, the Al Ko.
There is no stipulation on my insurance to have a wheel clamp or hitch lock while it's in winter storage, only when the site is open.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
View attachment 6140
Sorry I don't have the whole cover off, it was a quick pic, bit would that be the hitch lock, the Al Ko.
There is no stipulation on my insurance to have a wheel clamp or hitch lock while it's in winter storage, only when the site is open.
That’s the stabiliser. handle in your photo. Your wheel clamp may be easy to fit but does it meet any security standards? For use whilst touring it should be okay as there are very few thefts of caravans reported from sites but if you don’t want the Alko wheel lock I would have gone for the Wraith or Nemesis which are easy to fit and meet Sold Secure Gold Standard.

The Link below shows various Sold Secure hitch locks plus other security devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cons and Richtee180
Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
I looked through my Insurance docs and there is no requirement for a hitch lock or wheel clamp over the winter in storage on the site, only when open.
I can't see any specific type they require, Coast Insurance if anyone knows any different that would be helpful.
Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I looked through my Insurance docs and there is no requirement for a hitch lock or wheel clamp over the winter in storage on the site, only when open.
I can't see any specific type they require, Coast Insurance if anyone knows any different that would be helpful.
Thanks.
Not all insurers stipulate a make because if they did and the van was stolen by lock picking. or angle grinding the device I suspect some would try and sue them.

Reactions: Richtee180
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The requirement will normally be in the schedule and not the conditions as the level of security depends on the value and other things so they have to put it elsewhere in with other details they add to show the specific policy details.

Reactions: Richtee180
Jun 9, 2023
Visit site
Excuse my stupidly, but I just list my security devices and see what the quotes are. Don't get the " see what your insurance company accepts" bit. Never had a problem. Some people on her are just posting rubbish........Sorry but you are.
If they accept the request, thats it.

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
I ended up sending that big yellow and black wheel clamp back to Amazon, it was for trailers, on it's tightest setting I could move it off of one side of the wheel and into the next spoke.
I bought a Maypole clamp and a Stronghold hitch lock.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Excuse my stupidly, but I just list my security devices and see what the quotes are. Don't get the " see what your insurance company accepts" bit. Never had a problem. Some people on her are just posting rubbish........Sorry but you are.
If they accept the request, thats it.
Surely by listing your devices and receiving a quotation the insurer has tacitly accepted your devices, but without “ approving” them. In my experience most insurers just stated the general requirements for security devices. IE a hitch lock and wheel clamp are to be fitted. The only time I came across an insurer specifying a particular device was if offering a discount for using an Alko wheel lock.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CAMC Caravan Security Condition on my policy is worth quoting in full in view of some of the recent comments.

Whilst they DO NOT specify make and model they do describe the type. Fairly free ranging. Note the Condition also requires a tilt sensor alarm .Clive raises a good point
regarding specifying your security at the proposal stage. The proposal form forms the basis of the contract of insurance. But when the subsequent policy wording relaxes and says as below you are quite entitled to change to another approved security device.

NB I cannot comment on any other caravan insurers requirements.

Security Condition
It is a requirement of this insurance that whenever the caravan is left unhitched from a
towing vehicle it is immobilised or protected against theft or unlawful removal by the
use of one of the following: a hitchlock, wheel lock, wheel clamp, heavy duty chain with
an anchor point and lock, an alarm system which is triggered by external sensors of
movement, or immobiliser. The Member will also have to comply with any additional
security requirements shown on the Caravan Cover Schedule.
Failure to comply with this Security Condition and/or any other security requirement
shown on the Caravan Cover Schedule means the Member will not have the benefit of
this insurance for any claim for the theft or attempted theft of the Caravan.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts