wheelclamps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fancy buying the Bulldog Euroclamp (for alloy wheels)as one of the security devices for my 'van due to the ease of fit and lightness in comparison to other wheelclamps. Has anyone used one of these,are they classed as a wheelclamp for insurance purposes and where can I get the wheel locking nuts that are necessaryto complement this device?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

We've had a couple of Euroclamps - the standard one which was very easy to put on, and just as easy for the thief who stole our caravan to take off BUT I hadn't fitted locking wheelnuts. Lessons learned.

We now use a more expensive (and tougher) 'SS' model which has the Sold Secure silver rating needed by our insurers (Caravan Club). It's just as easy to put on, but generally stronger and we have also fitted locking wheelnuts (any caravan dealer sells them). To be honest, having had one 'van nicked we now use three wheelclamps in total - a Sold Secure Milenco and a cheap and nasty Klampit which is really just for show. The Euroclamp is ideal for short stops (at motorway services for example) as it really is a click and fit device. Best advice is NOT to use it with a wheel trim, but then with alloys you wouldn't anyway. In short, quick and easy to fit, but make sure you go for the SS model and also fit locking wheelnuts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have used a Euroclamp since 1994 - no problems. However I also use a locking wheelnu on each whell and other security devices - hitch lock/2*corner steady locks/alarm.

The clamp is itself very easy to use, even with wheel trims fitted.

Hope this helps.

Feb 1, 2006
Visit site
Wheel clamps and hitch locks are being cut off with oxyacetylene so you need to consider this when you look at security.

Sold Secure tests dont include oxyacetylene cutting, so dont assume a Gold Award gives you the best available security.

Advert for Tight-On Hub Lock in PC Magazine claims can't be removed by oxyacetylene or professional tools. Tel 01924 278887

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Sold Secure - Gold is the most stringent test for caravan security equipment.

Adverts for security products which haven't been independently tested are themselves suspect.

No security device is 100% secure, it's just a matter of degree.

Lightweight wheel clamps may be better than nothing but they don't give much security.

I'm surprised that insurers specifying wheelclamp use don't specify a rating.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike , whilst I would not argue the merits of fitting as many quality theft deterent devices as possible, I would point out that my CC Policy makes no such stipulation as to the Sold Secure silver rating that yours appears to. It only states that "Whenever the caravan is left unhitched from a towing vehicle for a period exceeding 8 hrs, it is immobilised or protected against theft..... by one of the following, a hitchlock,wheelclamp,heavy duty chain or immobiliser or an alarm"

Have your conditions been modified because you had your pride and joy removed by low life ???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts