Where can my toddler sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
i am new to caravanning and just brought a 4 berth Coachman Amara 520/4. I also have a very energetic 22 month old daughter who still sleeps in a cot at home. I am trying to work out the best place for her to sleep,(apart from with us) as a travel cot does not fit in the van, and the side dinette turns into bunk beds, which even on the bottom bunk I would be worried about her falling out as she is used to a cot. Does anyone know if you can get travel cots big enough to accomodate a nearly 2 year old thats fits in a caravan or a way of stopping her rolling/falling out of the bunk? What do other people do with their toddlers? Any help would be appriciated as we are going on hols in the van for the 1st time soon! Thanks

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
joanne, it was along time ago now (15 years) but we bought a side for our single bed that was about 10 inches tall and 4 foot long it was very light weight and had two feet that slotted under the mattress and held the "fence" in place so our child could not roll out of bed. it was obviousley desighned for a bed at home but theire is no reason why it could not be used on the lower side dinette bunk. if you can not find one of these then if the amara is the same as our old vip then the side dinette chairs had a small lip round them, if you cut a small piece of light weight hard board to fit on the inner edge of this lip for the full length of the bed then your child could not possibly fall out as his / her weight would hold the wood in place. a great choice of van by the way we have had 3 coachmans now and without doubt they are the best british built van you can buy.

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We have a 2 year old that still sleeps in a cot. When we go in the van we convert the side dinette into a bed and use a tomy bed guard from Argos (it may nees some adjustment. This works fine. It will depend on how much the little one wriggles in the night. worth a go.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
the bed guard tony describes is identical to the one we had i just could not remember the name or make. unfortunately my son falls out of bed for another reason now, he has reached 17 and is wise to the world and immune from everything, apparently.

Reactions: Anseo
Jun 26, 2006
Visit site
Snap, we too are newcombers with a nearly 2 and 5 year old and a Coachman Amara 520. The advice about the Tomy bed guard is spot on, exactly what we use. I have also taken to using one of the smaller back rest cushions to fill the space between the top of the cupboard above the heater and the top bunk to stop the little one peaking out. Experience so far (3 weekend trips) is that the little one can and will escape from the bottom bunk - so far the pattern is that on night one he's still runing around at 9-30pm and that on night two he's exhausted by the day's activities and fast asleep by 7pm! However, overall we are having a great time with absolutly no regrets.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
We've found the 'My First Ready Bed' to be a good solution. They're have inflatable sides to help prevent the little one rolling out and also an inflatable pillow/headboard. They come in a variety of popular cartoon characters including Noddy which our little one went mad for.

Cheapest place on the web is

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Thank you for the advice given here about sleeping a toddler. We have had our first trip away with our 16 month old daughter and she slept great with the help of a Tomy Bed Guard keeping her save from Argos as suggested. Recommend to any other families with small children.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi First SpringFlower. Welcome to the forum. Did the Toddler Bed fit in your Caravan? This is a very old thread. The toddler in question will be sitting her GCSEs by now. :)
mel

May 24, 2014
Visit site
What we did with junior when he was younger was this, we both slept on the single front beds, and put both backrests on the floor between us, which made and excellent bed for him. As he used to sleep in those wearable sleeping bags, he couldnt get up and walk anywhere so it was win win. No extra load to carry and a great comfy bed for him.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What we did with junior when he was younger was this, we both slept on the single front beds, and put both backrests on the floor between us, which made and excellent bed for him. As he used to sleep in those wearable sleeping bags, he couldnt get up and walk anywhere so it was win win. No extra load to carry and a great comfy bed for him.

When our grandkids were young (12 years age difference) the youngest would sleep on the double fixed bed adjacent the window. My wife would then be next to him/her. Me, I was down the front with Border Collies then Spaniels. Not much has changed when the 15 year old comes with us except I’m now at the rear single with dogs on the floor. Until about 0500 (n) at which time it gets interesting on a 70 cm wide single. Hot bunking again!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know if this will be of any help.

When our first born came along, we only had a two berth caravan, We were happy enough to use the front berths a single beds rather than as a double, and youngster slept on the floor on a cot mattress between us.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The person who revived a 14 year old thread was suspected by both Damian and myself of being a spammer trying a post on a very old thread in the hope that we wouldn't notice.
Spammers often do this sort of thing, and if we failed to act after a couple of weeks lying low the spammer would flood a message board with unauthorised adverts and inappropriate content.
After the correct warning procedure was carried out Damian issued a permanent ban to 'First Spring Flower'.
I understand that some of these potential spammers can appear to be plausible on the face of things which is perhaps why replies appear from bona fide members.
Please don't click on any url's shown on necro posts, they could contain malware, check the date of the original post first!
This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts