Where can you find Britain's best walks?

Kate Taylor

Administrator
Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
As we near the end of National Walking Month, we're just wondering where you think Britain's best walks might be?

Caroline Mills has shared some of her favourite walks, based on all the caravan holidays she's had around Britain – and she's even let us know her favourite campsites in each place.

We hope you'll enjoy comparing notes with her blog - Stepping out for National Walking Month – and perhaps tell us where you like to go for a quick stroll or a proper hike!

5987355-stepping-out-for-national-walking-month-1.jpg

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Well I have to say for me, its my home turf in Derbyshire.
Blessed with the beautiful Derbyshire dales and the Peak District National Park there are walks to suit all tastes and abilities and an abundance of great caravan sites too.
We have recently had a weekend staying on a site just outside the spa town of Buxton and enjoyed some lovely walks along Chee dale - an area of special scientific interest because of the flora and also along the old railway line that is now the very popular Monsal trail.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
We have great walks in this country some easy others difficult, personally I like it in and around Edale and Castleton in the Peaks, also North Wales is another part of the world with pleasant and hard walks with lots of scrambles of all descriptions, last year when we had the caravan in Llandudno I just had to have a stroll up the Great Orme, lovely views on a clear day, :)

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......not a good idea to get too close to the edge of the chalk cliff here. :eek:hmy:
I took this picture whilst walking at Beachy Head East Sussex.

P1040177_zpsmwpilzox.jpg

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Nearly everywhere, we live in North Wales, so are spoilt for choice on our doorstep but always find great walks wherever we go. A great walk is not just about the countryside, you can find great walks in towns and cities too. A great walk to us is being outdoors, the two of us, discovering something new about this great country of ours and ideally finding a great pub at the end of it with local beer :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes a good walk either in the countryside or wandering around an old town, alwasy with our dogs and finding a nice pub , talking to nice folk.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Mogwyth said:
Nearly everywhere, we live in North Wales, so are spoilt for choice on our doorstep but always find great walks wherever we go. A great walk is not just about the countryside, you can find great walks in towns and cities too. A great walk to us is being outdoors, the two of us, discovering something new about this great country of ours and ideally finding a great pub at the end of it with local beer :p

That's what I enjoyed about going up the Gt Orme, there's a pub at the top once owned by Randy Turpin,

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
pitpony said:
Mogwyth said:

That's what I enjoyed about going up the Gt Orme, there's a pub at the top once owned by Randy Turpin,
Another good location for walking in NW is Bryan Gloch lovely site when we last stayed there and handy for the Ranger path up Snowdon,

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Without doubt, the Norfolk coast - amazing skyscapes, amazing coastline and of course the bird watching is the best in Britain, especially in the spring and autumn migrations.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.............a bunch of geriatric children most of whom are the wrong side of 60 playing Pooh Sticks on Pooh Stick Bridge near Hartfield East Sussex.......an excuse to rest on a 7 mile walk in Ashdown Forest.

Poo%20Sticks%20Bridge_zpsyj0v70gq.jpg

Photo by SteveP

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The CC publish a walk in their magazine each month and they are somewhere on their web site but not easy ti find but here are some of them. http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/families/fun-filled-family-days-out/wonderful-woodlands-to-explore

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
All depends on where is accessible for wheelchair users. We use a variety of on line tools to decide where is suitable for me. Not just from the point of view the walk itself but also access to the walk. Kissing gates can be very awkward unless generous in size. Styles a complete no. Narrow walk through gates also a no.

Many of our favourite Devon, Cornwall and Hampshire walks now out of bounds. Derbyshire excellent with all the old railway tracks.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
A second vote goes for Derbyshire. We are fortunate to live in the Hope Valley just a mile from Castelton in the village of Hope. There are so many fantastic walks here, combined with great caravan sites and local pubs - you are spoilt for choice!

Jul 17, 2008
clogcaravanlog.blogspot.com
EVERYWHERE !!!!

I've got an app called iFootpath which is really helpful and is updated frequently as contributors add to it.

I know everyone expects different things out of a walk and this app gives you the difficulty scale with each walk and things to see along the way. It's the one app that I wouldn't delete from my phone if I was running out of space.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts