Where not to speed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It seems West Yorkshire is the place to be most careful with twice as many prosecutions as the next force. For more details try https://www.petrolprices.com/news/hotspots-where-most-speeding-tickets-are-issued/

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
It used to be North Wales. I wonder if the Chief Constables are in competition?
But I must admit that i have long been a believer that speed, of itself, is not the problem, honest!
Inappropriate speed is what needs to be cracked down on.
!40 mph on a deserted motorway in the middle of the night is not necessarily unsafe; however, 20mph through a crowded housing estate definitely would be.

(ducks below the parapet, awaiting abuse!)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I am always sceptical about these kind of statistics.
West Yorkshire is a massive County with more motorways and probably more police on traffic patrol than anywhere else.
My county of Wiltshire is way down the list so am I ok to speed :evil: :evil: :woohoo:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I am always sceptical about these kind of statistics.
West Yorkshire is a massive County with more motorways and probably more police on traffic patrol than anywhere else.
My county of Wiltshire is way down the list so am I ok to speed :evil: :evil: :woohoo:

It would seem so as your police are busy giving warning to shoplifters.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
emmerson said:
But I must admit that i have long been a believer that speed, of itself, is not the problem, honest!
!40 mph on a deserted motorway in the middle of the night is not necessarily unsafe; however, 20mph through a crowded housing estate definitely would be.

I don’t think so as Richard Brunsom, North Wales, has moved on some while ago. He got a lot of flack for his crackdown on motorists whilst serious drug offences or drug related were in sharp increase. It’s very difficult to balance the overall priorities as different sections of the population view specific crimes differently.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
emmerson said:

I have on many occasions, when presented with PC Plod saying 'speed kills', responded that if that were the case how come the space shuttle travels at approx 17,000mph, travels 408,000 miles per day, and has not killed anyone by that speed? OK a few did die when they let the woman drive, but that wasn't really her fault. :evil:

I did once, upon getting pulled in North Wales, get the plod to admit he was in fact speeding and driving with undue care and attention as he 'chased' me when he thought that, I was a then young lad in a hot hatch, 'must have been speeding' he stated, with no evidence. I know they are only doing a job, but!! :evil:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
intransient1 said:
abuse abuse lol

I find your comments about the space shuttle tragedy extremely poor taste. This forum shouldn’t be used for distasteful comments. No doubt you will apologise and say I’ve taken your comments out of context. I will resist the temptation to pander for your need for abuse. Try Twitter.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
As you might've noticed, I've moderated this thread. Please play nicely, everyone.

Practical Caravan does not condone speeding and the same laws apply to us all, to help everyone reach their destination safely. I'm not being a killjoy, just asking for some common sense and respect. Thank you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LizziePope said:
...just asking for some common sense ...

Hello Lizzie,
I think you may have put your finger on a significant part of the problem. What is "common sense" ? :unsure:

As this is supposed to be an attribute that everyone has, and by obvious demonstration in any given situation there are so many different interpretations of what is the "common sense" would be, it isn't really common at all! and it certainly isn't a good yard stick on which to base judgement calls. :(

Those drivers who do decide to speed have used their "common sense" and have concluded it is safe to speed! - which demonstrates the inappropriateness of using "common sense". :oops:

That is why I prefer to use good sense. B)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
LizziePope said:
As you might've noticed, I've moderated this thread. Please play nicely, everyone.

Practical Caravan does not condone speeding and the same laws apply to us all, to help everyone reach their destination safely. I'm not being a killjoy, just asking for some common sense and respect. Thank you.
Thanks Lizzie, you beat me to it.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
intransient1 said:
abuse abuse lol

I find your comments about the space shuttle tragedy extremely poor taste. This forum shouldn’t be used for distasteful comments. No doubt you will apologise and say I’ve taken your comments out of context. I will resist the temptation to pander for your need for abuse. Try Twitter.

You misquoted someone else btw or maybe you are unable to determine well known jests or black humour.

I have clearly misjudged this forum as the best caravan forum on the internet as I referred to it once.

Therefore, I'm off.

Moderators please delete my 481 posts that includes 144 thank you's. I want no record of being here. Should be just a couple of clicks of a mouse.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
KeefySher said:
otherclive said:
intransient1 said:
abuse abuse lol

You misquoted someone else btw or maybe you are unable to determine well known jests or black humour.

I have clearly misjudged this forum as the best caravan forum on the internet as I referred to it once.

Therefore, I'm off.

Moderators please delete my 481 posts that includes 144 thank you's. I want no record of being here. Should be just a couple of clicks of a mouse.

Unless you are posting as two people I don't know what you are on about. I quoted using the quote icon a post submitted by intransient 1 which has now been removed.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
KeefySher said:
otherclive said:
intransient1 said:
abuse abuse lol

Therefore, I'm off.

I'm not quite sure what's going on here apart from the fact that Lizzie deleted your earlier post which, although meant as a joke, was in rather poor taste.
If Lizzie hadn't deleted it before I saw it I would either have edited or deleted the 'space shuttle' comment, although I've heard it before.
This is a storm in a teacup.
Jokes about real tragedies involving real people are not the sort of thing that we could encourage on this forum, however well meant they may be.
As I've often stated, if a word or comment wouldn't be printed in Practical Caravan magazine it's unlikely to appear on this forum.
We greatly value your contributions Keefy, a deleted joke isn't a hanging offence and I've had comments of my own removed in the past, so don't let it bother you too much because it's no big deal.
I'm sure that the majority of forumites will join me in hoping that you won't take a deleted silly joke to heart and will stick around.
Although you are quite correct in stating that all of your content could be removed with a couple of mouse clicks it's not something that I could realistically do without affecting posts and comments submitted by a multitude of forum users.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts