Where to sell my towcar

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
I'm considering selling my car, a VW Phaeton. The reasons are nothing to do with towing or the car, simply some private matter. I normally do quite well exchanging my cars by selling privately and beating a dealer down as far as I can, travelling nationally to get the car/m,odel I want.

My question is regarding the towbar of this car. It cost a 4 figure sum to get installed and it would make sense if it was sold to a fellow caravanner who wanted and would use this facility.

Problem is, where does one sell cars as towcars. Autotrader where I usually sell will not have a big enough audience specifically looking for a towcar.

Ian

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian,

I understand your reasoning - I felt the same way when I was selling my house with screened hard-standing in the garden, perfect for a caravanner. I would have loved a caravanner to buy it - but it never worked out that way!

With cars, I am sure you will find that prospective purchasers will be far more interested in the many other important aspects like engine, gearbox, mileage, etc, etc. Even though the cost of fitting a towbar is exorbitant, no-one will buy a car with one unless everything else is right

Trouble is that if you put too much emphasis on the towbar, you might also put off many other potential buyers - who steer clear of cars with towbars for obvious reasons!

ALH

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ian,

I understand your reasoning - I felt the same way when I was selling my house with screened hard-standing in the garden, perfect for a caravanner. I would have loved a caravanner to buy it - but it never worked out that way!

With cars, I am sure you will find that prospective purchasers will be far more interested in the many other important aspects like engine, gearbox, mileage, etc, etc. Even though the cost of fitting a towbar is exorbitant, no-one will buy a car with one unless everything else is right

Trouble is that if you put too much emphasis on the towbar, you might also put off many other potential buyers - who steer clear of cars with towbars for obvious reasons!
I agree with Colin - although I buy cars for towing I would never buy a car which has had a towbar fitted. Sounds completely daft I know!

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm, good points, well made.

Luckily, everything is in order. Engine, gearbox, digital TV, massaging seats, etc, etc (LOL)

I will advertise and see what happens.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
In actual fact, the reason I am going to sell it is because it gives me a pain right down my right leg and up into my glute muscle.

I don't know 100% that it is the car but it certainly seems to exacerbate it. I've asked other Phaeton owners but they report nothing. I know there have always been drivers of certain cars that get backache but others are not affected.

It has 18-way adjustable seats but I just can't get right. I think the centre console restricts my left leg/knee and so I must be doing something I don't normally do.

5 years in my 530d and no problems at all.

I work at home and I've just spent

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ian,

It is called sciatica and I have never suffered with it apart from a two year period about 12 years ago when we bought a mark 1 Ford Galaxy. It was crippling within about 20 minutes of driving. We sold the Galaxy and I have never had a recurrence. I hope your sale cures you too.

Mike A

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Actually, I've been the doctors and for physio. Its NOT sciatica.

I'm not so sure the science bit is all there. Its certainly in the area where sciatic pain is. I don[t think they know what the pain is really. Its restricted my running too. Everytime I hit 10 miles I'm in pain whereas I used to run 1/2 marathons no trouble.

What if I change the car and it's still there?

Better get it right then. Sell high and buy low. (the car, not shares)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts