Where's Customer Service Gone ?

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I know that it is very cut throat in the retail world but I am finding more and more companies with extremely poor customers services that I refuse to deal with. Or is it just me getting too old ???

I recently emailed a company called Raskelf about a product of theirs called a Duvalay sleeping bag. The email was quickly answered and followed by a phone call from a lady called Liz. So far so good. Liz answered all my questions and told me most things about the product with the exception of one. That they had already launched a promotion in the next few days where they were giving a 20% discount ! She must have thought me completely and utterly mad ordering at that time. The sad thing is that I did have my July Caravan Club magazine delivered, where the discount was advertised, but had not had time to read it ! A lesson learnt. The discount would have amounted to about £48.

The sad and silly thing is that had I been told about the discount I would have ordered another one for my granddaughter. Also 2 of my sons have motorhomes and were keen to buy the product. I know because I was asked to lend them the money !

Am I so unreasonable to be annoyed or was I just the mug for the day ?

Bill

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Sad to say it, Bill, but you`re probably just mug for the day.

Did `Liz` know you didn`t need the purchase immediately? She may well of thought (reasonably) that you were buying it because you needed at that time and not in the future.

Also, how was she supposed to know that your entire clan were in the market for similar items? Was it mentioned?

To be fair I don`t think there is anything to feel a "mug" about.

You paid the going rate for a product (which you must of thought acceptable or you wouldn`t have shelled out) on the day you bought it.

Yes, I`d probably feel a bit peeved if I went and bought (say) a widescreen telly and it came down in price a few days later, but I could hardly blame the shop worker that sold it to me, even if he knew it was going to be reduced.

As they say, sh*t happens.

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Angus - Your comments are very accurate and perhaps I'm just a bad loser. Just imagine though that I had been asked if the items weren't urgent and I waited a couple of days I would get a 20 % discount how that company would have gone up in my estimation for further sales and recommendations to family and friends in the various caravanning associations I belong to. Clearly the discount had been planned for weeks to have got into this months CC magazine.

Now I wouldn't go near the company again.

Bill

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Roger - a good point but I do treat car and caravan purchases slightly differently as you negotiate your discount at the time of purchase.

I'm sure a caravan salesman worth his salt would do you a deal 48 hours before a planned promotional offer to secure a sale and to 'win' a new customer for future sales and service.

Bill

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
But to be fair Bill, in a retail shop, the sale starts on a certain day, at a certain time. If you were to go to Harrods the day before the sale you certainly wouldn't be offered the sale goods at sale prices. I don't think it's any different ordering via email or the internet.

As you say, it would have made for a real customer-relations 'coup' if she'd mentioned it - but perhaps her salary depends on the value of the sales she makes, and offering a discount would have potentially reduced her possible bonus. Perhaps next time it might be worth mentioning all the circumstances relating to your purchase, in your email, ie: not urgent, may want more than one, etc - and you may then find that you may just possibly be offered the discount.

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Val A - Good points, well made mind you I don't think that Harrods was agood example as they advertise their sale many weeks in advance (in certain newspapers only obviously !) and people camp out on the pavement days before they start.

I am quite happy when I discover a company offering good services/products I will work hard to stand by them.

I'm sure I can get a cheaper quote for my house insurance than Halifax but have used them for years. I have only had 2 claims and one was a difficult one involving my drains and they were handled superbly so I think they deserve my loyalty.

In caravanning terms I have purchased 6 brand new Elddis vans in the past. Fantastic service until I got to the 5th one which was a disaster. Even then I bought a 6th one which was even worse. I now am on my second Swift both of which have been nightmares so read this forum to get an idea of what to purchase next.

But to my mind Raskelf is not a company I would ever deal with again. In fact I have just ordered 2 mattress toppers from a company highly recommended on a forum and I'll see how I get on.

Bill

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Interesting point about your caravans, Bill. It seems to me that now manufacturers have to offer a six year warranty on the bodywork, that they may have compensated by downgrading the quality of other fixtures and fittings, so that owners have reasons other than the quality of the bodywork (damp was probably the previous reason for change) for looking for a replacement van.

There appear to be complaints from owners of just about all the manufacturers of vans, and it would be interesting to see which manufacturer comes out on top (or bottom!) for complaints.

We have a Swift, and overall are quite happy with it - but we've been recently looking at a Bailey Indiana, which impressed us, until we met an Indiana owner at a site in France recently. He had had sixteen faults, including a recurring one, and it was going back to his dealership immediately on his return from France, for more work! His previous Sprite lost it's Heki after towing 30 miles, a previous Bailey lost a wheel just as he came off the ferry in France, and the same Indiana was completely wrecked when someone drove into the side of it at a junction. Talk about bad-luck (or bad manufacturer and bad service????!!!)

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Val A - I know it is dangerous to generalise but in my personal experience caravans now have better design and more innovation but lack quality build and reliability. Whether this is to do with 'piece' work or the increase in imported parts I don't know.

I also appreciate however that there are hundreds of caravanners out there with no complaints at all.(just jealous I'm not one !) I belong to the CC, C&CC, owners club and a couple of other caravan associations and find many people who actually live with caravan problems ! Unlike cars some people don't expect caravans to be fault free ! I know my current van has been back to the dealer 4 times this year and that is a round trip of 108 miles. I think one trip actually cost me more in diesel than the repair job labour !!

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts