May 21, 2005
Visit site
I thought it was difficult to find the right caravan, spending over 12 months looking for the right one. Now I seem to have the same problem trying to find the right car. Currently I have a Volvo V70 2.4L petrol which likes the juice so to speak! Great car however fuel costs are mounting when towing my Bailey Pageant Auvergne 1396kg.

Basically I am looking for some advice - I have seen three cars which have caught my eye - VW Passatt 1.9TDI, Vectra 1.9CTDI & Mondeo tdci all a year old. I've been on the whattowcar website etc. and you know what it's like, better to hear from the people who have tried and tested such cars like yourselves.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, may help influence my decision.

Thanks

Terence

Jun 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Terrence,

I have a vw touran 1.9 tdi which weighs about the same or perhaps slightly more than a passat. It pulls my 1250Kg van with no problems even when the car is well loaded up with kit as well.

If I travel at 60+ mph I get low 30's per gallon. At 50 mph this increases to low 40's.

My engine is the 105bhp with 184lb ft of torque. It pulled fine on some very hilly roads in west wales this summer. The 130 bhp version in the passat must be excellent.

Regards,

Andy

Jun 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Terrence,

I have a vw touran 1.9 tdi which weighs about the same or perhaps slightly more than a passat. It pulls my 1250Kg van with no problems even when the car is well loaded up with kit as well.

If I travel at 60+ mph I get low 30's per gallon. At 50 mph this increases to low 40's.

My engine is the 105bhp with 184lb ft of torque. It pulled fine on some very hilly roads in west wales this summer. The 130 bhp version in the passat must be excellent.

Regards,

Andy

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Terence, I used to have a Passat TDI 130 sport which came with the 6 speed gearbox, I towed my 1400kg caravan all over with it and it made an excellent tow car, at 50mph it would return around 37mpg, and at 60mph 27mpg and solo 52mpg with mixed driving. Solo on a steady run over 60mpg is possible and performance was good when needed. Personally I would not buy the Vauxhall or Ford,[nothing wrong with either just personall choice] and the VW should hold it's value better although running costs may be a touch higher but probably on a par with your Volvo.

Regards

Simon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
youve got a dilema,could think of worse situations though,I toyed with touran 130 bhp,in the end money factor governed my choice so went for mondeo 130 tdci,superb tow car,fuel consumption brill,puts the fun back into caravanning,I went from saab 9000,so similar to your volvo,passat would be another greta choice I am sure although nopt so sure re vauxhall unless its the new 150 bhp unit....having said that mondeo and passat get great write ups in this forum

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Terry ,Why not go the old hog and get a 4x4 .I have a KIA/Sorento 2/5 Deisel which is a first class tow car .Mine is two years old with a three year warrentee and free breakdown cover .I average 25 to the gallon in comfort and safety ..TRY ONE

TRENDING THREADS