Which Caravan Magazine

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Knocker (blush!! lol). I've just done a quick Google, and it seems it used to be published by Warners Group Publications. A look at their website shows that they do Which Motorcaravan mag, but don't now seem to do Which Caravan although they do another called Go Caravan. Don't know whether that's any use to you.

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Sue
I did Google it as well and I have a suspicious feeling it is no longer in print which is a shame as it would have been very handy in my search for the best secondhand van on the market. Looks like I will be reading lots of web stuff instead.

Neil

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
You're welcome, Neil (much better name!! lol). Happy browsing!
smiley-laughing.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Knocker said:
.................. as it would have been very handy in my search for the best secondhand van on the market. Looks like I will be reading lots of web stuff instead.
Neil
The magazine that you are referring to was only published every three or four months in it's short lifespan.
You would be highly unlikely to find information on 'the best second hand van on the market' because there is no such thing Neil.
A read through any caravan forum or indeed any magazine will reveal that every brand and model of used caravan has problems because they share common components such as boilers, water systems, stoves, heaters, electrical components etc.
The 'best second hand van on the market' depends on many factors, not least what is available for sale at the time that you are looking.
The overall condition of a used caravan is more important than who manufactured it so you need to approach your search on a caravan by caravan basis, judge each one independently and choose the best example with a layout that you want and within your budget.
There is a Used Caravan Buyer feature in Practical Caravan magazine, the latest one, featuring Bailey Pageant's, is on page 110 of the November issue.
You will be able to find most if not all of the information that you are looking for on this forum and if we can't help you could contact the Practical Caravan magazine staff who would have the answers

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
They stopped publishing it in March and put their energies into the awful "Go Caravanning"
mel

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Parksy
I am sorry to say that I totally disagree
"The best secondhand van on the market"
Is surly the one you ultimately buy after long hours of research and sleepless nights visiting house to house to find the ONE yes your bargain van the one that fits all your requirements least of all the layout and PRICE/YEAR once found it is with out doubt the best thing (Van) on the market at that given moment in time space, until of course you find that hidden snag, the sink is on the wrong side, it is to dark on a cloudy day, it tows like a slug.
I do still like to go to bed at night with a book/mag and not a laptop, I work in IT and so getting away from it is good for me.
But you are right about this site and I will use it as much as I can
Neil

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Knocker said:
Hi Parksy
I am sorry to say that I totally disagree
"The best secondhand van on the market"
Is surly the one you ultimately buy after long hours of research and sleepless nights visiting house to house to find the ONE yes your bargain van the one that fits all your requirements least of all the layout and PRICE/YEAR once found it is with out doubt the best thing (Van) on the market at that given moment in time space, until of course you find that hidden snag, the sink is on the wrong side, it is to dark on a cloudy day, it tows like a slug.
But on that first day it is the "ONE"
Thats exactly what I was trying to tell you Neil.
smiley-wink.gif

All caravans represent compromise, the best that you can do is to take each one on it's merits and carry out a thorough inspection on the ones that you are tempted to buy.
Whenever I've been in the market for a caravan new or used I've compiled a checklist with the things that I want in terms of comfort and equipment and the things that we can do without. I've added pro's and cons of the individual caravan that I've been viewing and tried to arrive at the nearest to ideal for my budget at the time.
No amount of reading from lists contained in Which? magazine will be a substitute for a visual inspection and Heaven knows how many years of collective experience are instantly available at the click of a mouse on this forum.
Towing characteristics are more to do with correct loading and tyre pressures than caravan brand names, we'll come to that later.
smiley-laughing.gif

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
sorry but i like GoCaravan magazine. I subscribe to all 3 magazines (but practical caravan is my fave of course. Its thicker and you get more for your money)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I used to enjoy reading the now defunct 'Caravan Life' magazine now and again. It was never widely available so their poor distribution network probably contributed to their demise, I think that they morphed into Which Caravan which I found to be awful and that now seems to have turned into Go Caravan which in my personal opinion is equally as bad. Each to their own though and at least it is still promoting caravanning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, Which Caravan magazine is now gone. It was taken over by Go Caravan. I thought that the Which Caravan magazine was excellent and should never have been replaced. I bought the Go Caravan magazine a few times but I didn't like it.

Big mistake getting rid of Which Caravan.

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello you Practical folk

I'm the editor of Go Caravan, just jumping on to this site to correct a couple of small mistakes on this strand. This feels a bit like crossing No Man's Land and facing a row of bayonets. I'm obviously terrified, but in the interests of clarity and a seasonal match of intertrench football...

Yes, Go Caravan replaced Which Caravan, which in turn replaced Caravan Life. Go Caravan started as an annual in 2008, had two issues in 2009, then went monthly from April this year. It has caravan tests, but its sister magazine is the one for the most comprehensive used caravan testing: Caravan Motorhome and Camping Mart is a monthly, next issue on sale 10 December (next Go Caravan on 2 December). We also have another sister magazine now, because we've bought Caravan.

Anyone taking bets on how long this stays on the forum?

Best wishes to all, especially those of you who buy more than one mag!

Sally

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for clarifying the position over your publication.

Please do not think of this forum as enemy territory, it is far from it (most of the time).

Having as much information available for potential buyers is always helpful, and if you do lots of testing on older vans and towcars, this is most helpful.

As for your bet ,,,,you have just lost your stake,,,,,,the post stays. (Please make a suitably large donation to Help For Heroes as your forfeit)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sally, you are most welcome on here. Folks on here are into caravanning and not here to be loyal to PC. I don't like GoCaravan but I assume there are folks who do, hence the increase in issues. If you are up for some feedback read on, if not scroll down now: in my view it lacks depth. The reviews tend to be light with vague description and little analysis. The target demographic seems to be young families, fair enough. However the result is pages of low content language, delivered to short concentration spans with a degree of dumbing down. For all I know your target demographic who possibly wouldn't be seen dead with some caravan magazines, love it. Just not my cup of tea. On the up side I think that the photography is good and the balance of articles also good. (PC tends to go on ad nauseuem about some of its travel destinations).
Please carry on posting
mel

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
as said i buy all3 mags pc and caravan are good go caravan was my first choice but i dont buy it any more as it is half the size for the same money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts