Which caravan mover should i get?

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi All, my first post so go easy on me!

Im on the look out for a caravan mover but i simply have no idea what to get. Doing a quick google theres hundreds if not 1000s to choose from! I have a 2008 Sterling Europa 460 and need something suitable for this small caravan.

Ive heard Reich are reliable and heard good things about powrtouch. Can anyone shed any light or vouch for a particular type?

I came across Midland Motor Movers in Walsall offering on site fitting of caravan movers which seems reasonable and not a million miles away. Has anyone used them before and are they reliable?

My budget is around £700 but would have to last at that price!

Thanks in advance for any pointers. Oh and i live East Mids.

cheers

Mark

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I've always had Powrtouch, never had a problem at all. Just ordered a new twin axle van, and specified Powrtouch again.

I did have to replace the rollers on my old one, but they were 7 years old and worn down. Rang them, very helpful over the phone, new rollers and fitting instructions arrived in 48hrs.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I am on my third powrtouch and have always been very happy with the product and the service from the company. We now have the all wheel drive evolution to shift our twin axle and it's a great bit of kit.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I fitted a Powrtouch mover around 12 years ago - had a small problem with it after 3 years which they promptly solved for me so I thought they "were the bees knees" However five years ago I purchased my present van which had been fitted with a Carver mover - now taken over by Truma. That has been equally good. Probably any of the big names will be satisfactory. I would be looking for the best deal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mark, and welcome to forum,

As you have discovered there are many different versions of movers. Some are designed for single axles, and some for twin axles. Each mover will be designed for a maximum weight of caravan. You should look at the manufacturers specifications to determine which movers may be suitable for your caravan.

Reliability is of course important, Unfortunately there is no readily available information about each make and model so we become reliant on scanning forums to see what others may be saying.

As for which make, well in reality there will be very few people who will have experienced models from multiple makers, so any comments you do receive will not be very wide ranging or genuinely objective comparisons.

You should be careful in reading such sources, as they can become very misleading.

First of all people do not normally post when what they purchased works properly, so that leaves most posts being about faults or problems or in exceptional case when something has vastly exceeded their expectations.

Now look at the ratio of postings about different manufacturers. One manufacturers name seems to crop up more than twice as frequently as the others – why should this be? Well if all movers had about the same failure rates, then if one manufacturer sells twice as many units, then It might relate to the number of products they sell, so the manufacturer with the biggest market share would receive proportionately more negative comments.

You might read the comments and see that one manufacturer seems to have a lot of positive comments. But read between the lines and you may see the comments starts with “We had a problem” and then goes on to extol the customer service. I compliment the company on their care for customers and its a model that others should copy, but the good news hides the fact their product has actually let a customer down.

From what I have seen of the various designs of mover, none of them have anything exceptional that would make them more reliable than any other, so whilst the most talked about make seems to generate good comments that shouldn't be taken to mean that other manufacturers products and customer services are any less good.

I suggest you look for the best deal you can get.

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
We have had three Pwrtouch movers over the years our current model is the Evo Auto, very pleased with it and would recommend it, their back up service is second to none

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
One thing to consider is, the weight of the unit will eat into your payload but without ours we would not be able to get the van in or out of the garden (Powrtouch fitted 2008) ;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Powrtouch or Truma for me.
The Prof makes a very valid point but do remember Powrtouch give a legendary 5 year no quibble guarantee.
However you say your budget is £700 which sadly puts the Powrtouch and Truma beyond your grasp.
Sir Mucky Pup had an Ego fitted to his 1300 MTPLM LKunar and it worked for many years uintil he sold up.
Have a look at Purple Line's products .

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Most people will recommend Powrtouch because of their after sales service when they go wrong but don't dismiss the lesser known makes such as Ego. I've had one, first on a single axle, then transferred to my current twin axle, for years. I can't comment on their after sales service, I've never had to use it. ;)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We had a Powrtouch mover on our previous single axle van. We had the van 4 years. The mover had motor actuated rollers. One of these motors failed twice and was replaced each time. The other failed once and was replaced. The after sales service was excellent with an engineer out within 48 hours each time. However, we did not use the van with great frequency (5 or 6) outings a year. So the balancing factor to the great service is the number of times the unit needed work.

Our new van has a Reich mover, manually actuated, but only used it once so couldn't comment on its reliability
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I too have Powrtouch number 3 on the current caravan, You may be able to get a deal by doing your homework and then calling their sales people. If you are reasonably handy at DIY they are quite easy to self fit which an save another big chunk of money - and you will know that the joints have been made correctly, everything tightened correctly etc. which may not be universally true for dealer fits. Powrtouch instructions are pretty good for this - others may be too, but I have no personal experience.

Assuming you are reasonably fit, then go for the manual rather than electric engagement of the rollers - again saves money and less to go wrong. Try to mount the mover in front of the caravan axle - this is not possible on some caravans but the mover then gets subjected to spray and dirt thrown off the caravan wheels. You need to have a leisure battery in good condition and ideally 90 or more amp-hour capacity.

As I'm sure others will agree a good mover is one of the best if not the best accessory you can fit to your caravan, so it's worth stretching you budget figure a bit if you have to. It may be worth looking for second hand units, but if so I would insist on seeing them running - if only on a bench - before buying.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mel said:
We had a Powrtouch mover on our previous single axle van. We had the van 4 years. The mover had motor actuated rollers. One of these motors failed twice and was replaced each time. The other failed once and was replaced. The after sales service was excellent with an engineer out within 48 hours each time. However, we did not use the van with great frequency (5 or 6) outings a year. So the balancing factor to the great service is the number of times the unit needed work.

Our new van has a Reich mover, manually actuated, but only used it once so couldn't comment on its reliability
Mel

Hello Mel,

I think your post very poignantly expresses the moral dilemma.

In four years you had three failures. Now if that had happened with most products, people would say "don't touch that model as it's very unreliable". Yet somehow your post suggests you almost forgive the company because it responded so quickly with it's exceptional after sales service.

The reality is you have had three failures, and those failures will have caused you inconvenience, it may have involved some expense, and for some people such a failure could impact on their very precious holiday time or bookings.

Now its all credit to this manufacture they seem to respond so quickly, and puts into sharp relief how dire many other organisations are in dealing with faults and complaints. In that regard it is a model that others should seek to emulate or even improve on.

But the underlying issue is why has this manufacture found it necessary to put such a comprehensive after sales service in place. Because it is not cheap to provide such cover.

Hopefully a major part of the company's strategy recognises how precious working people's holiday time is, and a few days down time can ruin plans and cost some caravaners lost bookings and deposits, so a quick response can minimise possible consequential loss claims. This is an aspect that all organisations involved with holiday time pursuits should be considering.

But cheapest solution which prevents any such issues is ensure their products are fault free from the outset. No Faults - Significantly reduced customer service demands (you will always need some customer support for queries and after sale purchases of consumable items).

It is almost always the case the cost of repairing a product failure in the field cost much more than preventing the fault from leaving or even arising at the manufacturing stage which comes down to proper Quality Assurance management which covers design, procurement, testing, marketing, production and aftermarket services.

Realistically it's not possible to guarantee a 100% faultless product, but with good design, proper manufacturing control, such issues can be driven down to very low levels indeed, and especially when a product is not overly complex (and neither caravans or movers are particularly complex) the need to invest heavily in customer services can be dramatically reduced without impairing the customer's experiences.

With smaller CS overheads and product fewer failures which are a direct drain on profits, companies can review their pricing structures and have some scope to reduce costs and still boost or maintain profitability.

If one manufactures products do fail but they respond very quickly, their reputation seems to be based on the customer service element and that raises their profile. But you must not dismiss other manufacturers who profile is less obvious:-

It could very well be another manufacturer's product is more reliable so it generates less public awareness, principally because it does what is expected and is thus not exceptional enough to generate comment.

It could be another manufacturer's product is equally reliable but its CS is less responsive so it is seen as "what is expected" and generates less public awareness.

However it could also mean:-

It could be another manufacturer's product is less reliable but its CS is less responsive so really poor and customers do avoid its products generates less public awareness because of lower numbers of units sold.

Unfortunately, because of commercial confidence. companies guard their marketing and failure statistics very carefully, so it's not at all easy to make any firm conclusions about the relative performance of these products, but based on the fact that all the units use very similar technologies, its only fair to suggest that each manufacturer's products have roughly similar reliability performance.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had three caravans fitted with three different movers and to be honest all have worked near enough the same and we have had no problems.
I do not know if you are fully fit however but if you have any problem look at the way it locks onto the wheel. If you use a lever to pull it across that may need a lot of effort and be too much for some. The Purple Line uses a winding handle which is easier and the one we had on our Avondale lasted the full six years we had it.
There are automatic ones but I think these will be outside the budget although have not checked. If you are going to any of the shows coming up you might get a special deal there or get the price of the one you want reduced as they tend to match each others prices if they need to to get your business. Might even work outside the shows.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Prof. I was trying to express, not the dilemma but the paradox. The customer service was great but the product wasn't. My personal view was the former, while laudable, did not compensate for the latter hence the new van does not have a Powrtouch
I try to be balanced but perhaps my forgiving nature mean't I did not express my view so clearly.
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mel, I'm sorry if I did not read your intention properly, I am glad you let your head rule your heart on this one, and I hope you will have many years good service.

But also thank you for the post because it gave me an opportunity to express my deeper views on the subject.

Any how, have a good new year.

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Further to my earlier post,re my Evo Auto, I understand that the early Evo's had issues with the actuator motors that I experienced, they were changed last year and are now working well

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Whichever mover you decide on you could do worse than trying RD Auto Electrics in Derby. They fitted my Pwrtouch on my new van in 2014 and beat the nearest price by almost £200 AND they drove all the way to Wilts to fit it in the price. The dealer(where the van was being prepped) couldn't see how they could do it at the price. They also fitted a 110AH battery at the same time at a similarly low price. If you google them you can see the price on an Enduro and Apollo but they will supply most makes.
hth's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts