Which Hitch Lock?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alko have the hitchlock to fit your coupling, which has to be the first option, although a bit expensive at

Nov 19, 2006
Visit site
Damian

Many thanks. I thought there might be device which could be used whilst towing so when you stopped at a motorway service station you didnt need to attach each time.I have looked at the Alko but it does appear expensive. Will have a look at other types after your advice.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Morganic, the Alko 1300 stabiliser has a built in pin lock that you can use to lock the caravan to the car whilst stopped.

You should have received two keys for it and a long pin with what looks like a Yale lock on the end of it when you bought it

Nov 19, 2006
Visit site
Many Thanks Havent got caravan yet but I will check when I get for the keys etc. This is the first time that I will have tried caravanning-so much to learn.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Just to add to this, if you're stopping at motorway service stations, no matter what type of hitch lock you have got it won't stop them from unbolting the tow ball from the tow bar.

I've butchered the thread on the bolts on mine with a hammer and chisel to make the nuts harder to remove.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yet again there are postings about the dangers of stopping at motorway service areas, and to the novice caravanner it would seem that these places are dens of iniquity with thieves lurking around every corner.

I may be wrong, and I am sure I will be told if I am, but I have never heard of anyone who has had their towball unbolted from their vehicle!

I have heard of vans being unhitched and stolen though.

However, the big question is, WHY do people leave

their vans unattended?

WHY do people voluntairily go and spend disproportionate amounts of money on sub standard food and drinks in service areas?

You have a caravan, which has facilities for making far better meals , much more cheaply and making drinks at a fraction of the cost, WHY dont you use them?

We paid a lot of money for our van and dont want to see it going down the motorway on someone elses transport, so we dont ever leave the car and van unattended, easy really!!

The simplest answer to not having your van stolen is DO NOT LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts