Which Solar Panel for Bailey Senator Indiana

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Most of my pitches are off grid from a weekend up to two weeks. I want to purchase a solar panel that ideally allows me to use sockets, not sure if you can do that? pump etc without too much hurt to the battery. I would also like it to keep optimum battery health when parked up on my drive throughout the year. I'm looking at fitted. I would also ideally like fitting local to me in Bristol. However will go further if needed.

Can anyone advise on panel and cost please?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Depending on the age of your van, you may very well have a connection point built in. My van has a 20w solar panel fitted as standard, but that is just about enough to keep a trickle in the battery, no more than that.

My very first van had a much larger solarpanel fitted, cant remember the wattage now, and also had a twin battery system. We used to do very well with that off grid.

Towsure do panels up to 120w but i seem to have a vague memory of people having problems with too high powered a panel. Maybe another forum user can supply more info on that.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that thingy. Totally random question, how do you add a footer? I.e Shogun 3.2...........

You gotta buy one first ................................. :p

Look in your profile, its under signature.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Fithawk said:
Most of my pitches are off grid from a weekend up to two weeks. I want to purchase a solar panel that ideally allows me to use sockets, not sure if you can do that? pump etc without too much hurt to the battery. I would also like it to keep optimum battery health when parked up on my drive throughout the year. I'm looking at fitted. I would also ideally like fitting local to me in Bristol. However will go further if needed.

Can anyone advise on panel and cost please?

You will receive varied advice on solar power and much of it will probably involve 'not buying cheap Chinese products' etc; but the kits marketed in the UK at inflated prices were imports from the Far East so cut out the middle man, the product will be exactly the same ;)
Fleabay have solar panels and kits of various wattages, for prolonged off grid 12v power don't go below 100watts.
There's a kit on Fleabay at the moment, it's no better or worse than any other and you get exterior cables and a pulse width modulator solar power regulator which is vital to protect your battery from cooking.
Fitting is not difficult for a reasonably competent D-I-Y er Click Here to see how I fitted mine.
Otherwise any approved mobile caravan service engineer would easily do the job for a reasonable cost in half a day, use my link to find one in your area.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I forgot to add, a 100 watt 12v solar panel will supply 12v power, which with a leisure battery in good condition should enable you to use 12v lighting, the pump and toilet flush via your leisure battery more or less indefinitely during the lighter summer months.
During the winter the rate of charging will obviously be lower but your leisure battery should still be trickle charging as long as the panel is kept clean, free of leaves, snow or dust.
240V power can be used via a 12V / 230V power inverter which will have a plug socket on it but prolonged usage will flatten your leisure battery despite the solar charge.
LED lighting uses much less power than 12v halogen so replace any halogens with led's to get more use from the available power.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks Parksy. Got a quote from my local caravan shop/workshop. £425 for an 80w Sola system fitted. Seems high to me, so have emailed engineers on your approved engineer site. I guess what I need is something that keeps my 12v circuit in good condition, allowing MOB charge etc and also to ensure when I get back to base, that I have enough juice to power my Go2 mover. Thanks for all the advice!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Fithawk said:
I guess what I need is something that keeps my 12v circuit in good condition, allowing MOB charge etc and also to ensure when I get back to base, that I have enough juice to power my Go2 mover.

Whilst towing on the road your leisure battery should be charged by the car, so when you get home there should be enough power for your mover.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts