Which tow car Vectra, Signum or Passat

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi fellow caravaners,Hope to upgraid my tow car and thinking of 2.2 deisal and would like to know which to go for out of the Vectra, the Signum or the Passat. Ihope to go for nearly new, around £14000. Can any one help with experience on any of the cars please.

Thank you

Allan

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
If you have not considered a BMW Touring diesel, then the one to go for from your list is the Passat. The Vectra and Signum loose a hugh amount to depreciation ( as I learnt to my cost). I had An 03 Omega 2.2 petrol, wonderful car couldn't fault it, but 19mpg when towing it had to go. Lost a load of money when selling, now have a BMW 530d Touring, 26ishmpg when towing a Senator Indiana.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you stretch your budget a bit, go for one of the new 2.0TDi Passats. 140bhp and very heavy. I take delivery of one in four weeks time (2.0S TDi estate) which weighs nearly 1750kgs.... Or, if you can stretch it even further, one of the 170bhp diesels!

May 21, 2005
Visit site
Interesting to read the feedback on this topic. Iam currently looking at purchasing the Signum 1.9CDTI 150 bhp, which has had a very good right up for it's sheer power. Can't say I know much about the Passat.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Allan,

I agree with the other posters, the Vectra and Signum depreciate very rapidly - but this can work to your benefit if you don't mind buying something slightly older.

The Vauxhaul 2.2 diesel is not the best diesel engine in it's class, but the 3 litre fitted to the higher specification Signum is highly rated.

Buying a slightly older 3 litre Signum diesel (say 1 year or whatever you can find) should mean that some one else has suffered the initial bulk of the depreciation - and the Signum really does drop in value over the first year.

And then the Signum will continue to depreciate, but buy at the right (low) price and it shouldn't hurt too much.

But comparing the 2.2 Vauxhaul diesel to the VW unit is no comparison at all.

And if you want that new car smell - then go for the VW - it should retain more of it's value each year.

Another thought is why not look at a slightly older prestige (or quality or whatever you call them) car - like a 2 year old Volvo S60 Diesel (your back will love you) or a similar age Mercedes C270 Diesel (best diesel in class) or BMW 530d or Audi?

The perception is that servicing costs for a MB / BMW /Audi are high, but not much more than my previous VW TDI (my C270 CDI costs about

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Allan, we used to tow a 1400kg van with a Passat 1.9tdi 130 sport which was the old shape but an excellent tow car, never struggled with power and returned well over 30mpg towing and up to 60mpg solo with regular 50mpg mixed driving, I have been a car mechanic in BMW,Ford,Toyota and Land Rover dealers and then HGV mechanic/workshop manager for nearly 20 years and I would only buy a German or Japanese car, look at any reliability survey and see, also the Passat is a far nicer car which will hold it's value better than a Vauxhall. The later model old shape Highline was a nice car and

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just a note to add to rob_jax's reply. If you are considering a 3 litre diesel Signum, be careful to check weights if it's going to be an automatic. If I remember correctly, the auto only has a 1300kg max. permissible towload. Ther manual is much better.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
If you have not considered a BMW Touring diesel, then the one to go for from your list is the Passat. The Vectra and Signum loose a hugh amount to depreciation ( as I learnt to my cost). I had An 03 Omega 2.2 petrol, wonderful car couldn't fault it, but 19mpg when towing it had to go. Lost a load of money when selling, now have a BMW 530d Touring, 26ishmpg when towing a Senator Indiana.
BMW 530d Tuoring Kerb Wt 1820kg, 194bhp Max nose weight 90kg

Max tow weight 2000kg should do the job

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Allan, we used to tow a 1400kg van with a Passat 1.9tdi 130 sport which was the old shape but an excellent tow car, never struggled with power and returned well over 30mpg towing and up to 60mpg solo with regular 50mpg mixed driving, I have been a car mechanic in BMW,Ford,Toyota and Land Rover dealers and then HGV mechanic/workshop manager for nearly 20 years and I would only buy a German or Japanese car, look at any reliability survey and see, also the Passat is a far nicer car which will hold it's value better than a Vauxhall. The later model old shape Highline was a nice car and

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts