Which type of leisure battery

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
Hi all I would like some advise please , I think I need a new leisure battery just wondering which type would be best for me. My van is in storage for approx the next year due to doing some renovations at home , so I can keep it plugged in. I will only be using the caravan once or twice during the next year . I leave the battery disconnected while to caravan is in storage. Are there any types of battery that will last better when not being used ? I believe there are gel batteries etc I am not sure though. I think my battery has died due to not being used for the last 4/5 months it was fine before it when into storage I have brought it home to change but I don’t think it’s holding a charge now. I will be using the car a soon so need a working battery for movers etc. I don’t want the battery at home as it will be in the way while the renovations go on .
Any recommendations or suggestions thanks Jeff

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all I would like some advise please , I think I need a new leisure battery just wondering which type would be best for me. My van is in storage for approx the next year due to doing some renovations at home , so I can keep it plugged in. I will only be using the caravan once or twice during the next year . I leave the battery disconnected while to caravan is in storage. Are there any types of battery that will last better when not being used ? I believe there are gel batteries etc I am not sure though. I think my battery has died due to not being used for the last 4/5 months it was fine before it when into storage I have brought it home to change but I don’t think it’s holding a charge now. I will be using the car a soon so need a working battery for movers etc. I don’t want the battery at home as it will be in the way while the renovations go on .
Any recommendations or suggestions thanks Jeff
When not using the caravan for a period I always took the battery home and put it on a Smart charger. My batteries were lead acid and of a decent make such as Varta, Bosch, Numax and I got good life out of them. Smart charges can range from Lidls, Ring at the lower end or CTEK, NOCO at the higher end. Mine is an old CTEK only 4 amps as it’s not used for rapid charging of flat batteries. It was originally purchased for motor bike battery maintenance.

Reactions: Challenger
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Numax lead acid has served me well . Two batteries over 15 years ,first one lasted 11 years.
When not in use for more than two months I remove it and put on a smart trickle charger. Every so often it gets connected to some old head lights thus making it work.

An old mechanic told me years ago it is important to use a battery as well as charging it. Whether that’s true today you will have to ask a battery expert.
I take the view the more powerful,the better hence my Numax is a 120AH.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should check with your insurance policy about what you need to do when the caravan is in storage. Some policies dictate that an alarm or tracker must be used, and they will need some power to operate correctly.

Consider getting a quality solar panel and charge controller which is big enough to offset the power used by any alarms etc and to keep the battery in good condition, with enough charge to run your mover at a moments notice.

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
Hi thanks for replies , I was hoping not to have to bring the battery home and keep the battery charged when the caravan is not in use but I suppose it’s what I will have to do . Once the van is backed parked at home I can plug the EHU in so I don’t really want to get solar fitted on the van , I have solar at home already .
Thanks again. Just getting my current battery checked before I buy a new one.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi thanks for replies , I was hoping not to have to bring the battery home and keep the battery charged when the caravan is not in use but I suppose it’s what I will have to do . Once the van is backed parked at home I can plug the EHU in so I don’t really want to get solar fitted on the van , I have solar at home already .
Thanks again. Just getting my current battery checked before I buy a new one.
Lead-acid batteries need recharging every 3 months, ideally every month, otherwise they will deteriorate beyond their recovery point.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
AGM, although a Lead Acid technology, is a much more robust technology than traditional. I accidentally discharged a brand new set of three AGM's to 4V on my old boat. They recharged fine and lasted 10 years despite the abuse. However, solar is an ideal addition to keep the battery healthy all year round

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The OP could consider a small solar panel sited within the caravan during winter. That should be sufficient to keep the battery charged. Although going by today and yesterdays gloom the Walker Brothers song springs to mind…….The Sun ain’t gonna shine anymore !!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The OP could consider a small solar panel sited within the caravan during winter. That should be sufficient to keep the battery charged. Although going by today and yesterdays gloom the Walker Brothers song springs to mind…….The Sun ain’t gonna shine anymore !!!
That may suit me. What sort of size are you thinking of? Will it work with the tinted windows?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That may suit me. What sort of size are you thinking of? Will it work with the tinted windows?
Having ditched electrics after year 1 of my degree I’m not qualified to answer your question. But fortunately there are others on the Forum with practical experience of these things. 😂

Aug 12, 2024
Visit site
3 months ago I switched from a lead acid to a lithium battery. I have to say that its the best decision I have made. Whilst it cost a bit more than a lead acid battery the cost wasn't too bad at £370 for 105ah and a 10 year warranty (I know a lead acid can last 10 years if cared for but this needs no real care).

It works with my existing charger (though I believe this isnt always the case and depends on the chaarger you have in your van) and is fantastic off grid. We did 4 days at a festival and the battery never dropped below 93% and every day by 10am was fully charged by the solar. It charges much faster from the 100w solar panel than the lead acid did as well.

It has bluetooth built in and an app to keep check and as part of this it enables you to switch off the discharge circuit meaning no power leaves the battery but it will still charge from the solar. I have my solar panel switched off at present to save constantly charging the battery when not getting used and after 2 months it still shows 100% full.

Add into the mix the fact that it weighs 11kg vs the old 25kg acid and it can be almost fully disharged therefore more usable current and for me it was a a no brainer

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
3 months ago I switched from a lead acid to a lithium battery. I have to say that its the best decision I have made. Whilst it cost a bit more than a lead acid battery the cost wasn't too bad at £370 for 105ah and a 10 year warranty (I know a lead acid can last 10 years if cared for but this needs no real care).

It works with my existing charger (though I believe this isnt always the case and depends on the chaarger you have in your van) and is fantastic off grid. We did 4 days at a festival and the battery never dropped below 93% and every day by 10am was fully charged by the solar. It charges much faster from the 100w solar panel than the lead acid did as well.

It has bluetooth built in and an app to keep check and as part of this it enables you to switch off the discharge circuit meaning no power leaves the battery but it will still charge from the solar. I have my solar panel switched off at present to save constantly charging the battery when not getting used and after 2 months it still shows 100% full.

Add into the mix the fact that it weighs 11kg vs the old 25kg acid and it can be almost fully disharged therefore more usable current and for me it was a a no brainer
They are good, but not many of us want the cost associated with it especially if you never go off grid.

Reactions: RogerL and Dustydog
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I'm using one of these.

I have a couple of wooden battens that slot in the roof light tracks and the solar panel sits on top of them. Yes it works through the tinted roof light but at a much reduced rate. In bright sunlight I've measured 1.3 amps, on an overcast day a couple of hundred milliamps. So far however, its kept the battery fully charged. Yesterday in the torrential rain it still managed to push the battery voltage up to 13.3.

I can't comment on how it will perform through winter as I only fitted it a couple of months ago.

Keep an eye on eBay, they have regular sales on there, I picked mine up for just over £30.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts