which van?

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
hello all,
I am wanting to buy a 2nd hand 2/4 berth van ,later than 2000 with an L shaped lounge for use by myself and partner.
I have up to £5k to spend (absolute tops!!!)
Weare limited by the 85% rule to just under 1200kg.
There are SOOOOO many around ebay etc-I would very much like other forumites opinions on there personal favourite and why?
My partner is quite "Handy" and has rebuilt many old cars and is not easily conned by dealers and is aware of many of the pitfalls that await us!!!!
So its the personal preferances and the reasons for them that I am most interested in.
Hope someone can help us -we`re eagre to get started.....

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Cecilia
I'd better point out that the '85% rule' is in fact a guideline for inexperienced tow car drivers not a law so there can be some variation as long as your cars towing limit is not exceeded.
Would those replying to this query please confine your replies to advice about suitable caravans, we don't need yet another long debate about the '85% rule/ guideline' thanks
smiley-wink.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've just had a quick look on Preloved http://www.preloved.co.uk/ and
This One looks promising

Edit:
oops, sorry it's a 1998, a good buy for somebody if it's genuine though
smiley-embarassed.gif

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Mmmmm yes ....but I really wanted post 2000. This is 1998-but its got lots of extras..........good price... appears genuine reason for sale ...........Don`t like the "seam " down the roof -I was told this can be a potential Leakage point?????
Have you had one of these vans personally?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
No I haven't owned one but I've got friends who have and without exception they enjoyed owning them.
The GRP sides (as opposed to aluminium) were popular with buyers because they are not susceptible to dents, the spec on these caravans was good and there are still plenty of them around.
I don't think that I'd pay much above £3000 for a model of that year but if it's genuine it ticks the boxes.
The roof seam should be in good condition if the caravan has been regularly serviced and the damp report checks out, you can always look for a newer example and the full service history is a good selling point and worth looking for whichever caravan you choose.
The main leak point on any used caravan is often where the awning rail joins the roof and near to the front and rear panels.
Have a look inside lockers and bed boxes,look behind curtains and ease window rubbers down a little to spot tell tale signs of damp, black mould etc.
Look for spongy floors especially near to the kitchen area and damp areas on washroom walls.
Spongy floors are indicative of floor delamination, a fairly easy but potentially messy diy repair which you should factor £150 for.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
As a confirmed Coachman fan of course I'm going to say a coachman, but of course more importantly is the condition. I would say not to get bogged down by the year of the van but its condition. many a 1995 may be as good or better than a 2001 depending on how it has been looked after. Good luck

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
As I am farely new at vaning we brought a cheep van for £1000 and after a couple of trips out we new we would like an end bedroom so we sold the old van on e*ay and made £300 on it.
Then we looked for the van of our dreams a 4x4 to pull it and a overdraft.
Now we have no overdraft, no 4x4 but still have the van of our dreams.
Reg Pat and the dog...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts