Which Wheelclamp do i buy?

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Having a nightmare of a job, trying to decide which wheelclamp is the best one to buy for our caravan.
Looked at alot of manufacture's website's & as you would expect they all think there's are best.....but are they?
I do accept that if a thief want's my caravan, they will take it, regardless of what make of wheelclamp / hitchlock i use.
But i want to make it as hard as possible for them!
I was visiting our local caravan shop the other day & they tried to sell me a Sold Secure Gold Wheelclamp & Hitchlock for £149.00 but to be perfectly honest it looked so cheap & tacky ,the wheelclamp never even covered the wheelnuts!! i declined there offer.

So my question to you all is....is there a best on the market out there?
Regards
Sue

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Having changed my carvan and found the old wheel clamp no longer fitted the larger wheeks I went for the Nemisis which is very secure and has large range of adjustment. Whatever you buy look for the Sold Secure sign.

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I currently use Alko secure but Have owned other wheelclamps (sas supaclamp) which covers a wheel nut, but have also used alko safety device which i find that it is not as robust but imho I prefer Alko or Sas.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As you said Sue, if a thief wants your caravan they will take it.
Your best bet is to phone your caravan insurance provider first to find out if your policy has any specific clauses with regard to security arrangements.
When you've determined the requirements choose a wheel lock that is sold secure, a good visual deterrent but is not too difficult to deploy.
I use two very solid elaborate wheel clamps on our t/a caravan when it's in storage but when we are away in the caravan I use fairly lightweight easy to deploy but highly visible wheel clamps.
This is because my insurers ( C&CC) insist that whenever the caravan is unattended the wheel clamps, alarm and locking hitch clamp have to be deployed, but the policy doesn't specify any particular brand or level of security.
The heavier more secure clamps would eat into my payload and would involve scrabbling about on the ground to put them on with some degree of difficulty, but the light weight clamps are dead easy to put on, they fulfill the terms of the insurance, are a visible deterrent and they don't add too much weight when I'm towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use a Sold Secure labelled chain and lock, much easier to fit than a clamp and much easier to pack. CC Insurance are happy with it.
You can just pass it through one of the holes in the wheel, but it is long enough to take a turn round the suspension arm.
Nothing is going to stop someone with time and an angle grinder, but this will probably deter the motorway service area opportunist low-life.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In store I use a Bulldog QD44 and Bulldog Titan wheel clamps, plus steady locks and an Alko stabiliser hitchlock. Touring I use the QD44 and the Alko hitchlock.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts