Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
i am booked on to sandfieldhouse farm caravan site just outside of whitby in 3 weeks, we will be there for a week, are there plenty of things to do in and around whitby to occupy us for the full week or as whitby is so small will we have seen all within the first couple of days and break up our week by moving to somewhere else for the last half of the week. also does anyone know of a good seafood restaurant near to or in whitby we could go to (i mean a restaurant not a fish and chip shop), i dont mind driving 10 or 20 miles for things to do and see but i dont want to have to drive 50 miles here and 50 miles there, i would rather move the van, or am i being naive and will whitby fill my week, i have to ask as i have never been, hope this helps, regards mark.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Mark plenty to do round Whitby, Robin Hood Bay, on the doorstep of the North Yorkshire Moors, you say you don't want a chip shop but by all accounts the Magpie is renowned for its fish & chips even Rick Steins a fan.

Scarborough not far off we are their next week and intend to do Robin Hood Bay plus Whitby and we shall part take in the fish en chips.

Hope this helps

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
There's lots to do in and around Whitby. Wander around the narrow streets and browse the lovely shops, don't miss 'Whitby Glass'home of the famous Lucky Ducks. Lots of boat rides to choose from, 'The Dracula Experience', walk up the 199 steps to the Abbey and church.

Cliff top walks to Robin Hoods Bay, a walk along the pier.

From Whitby you can drive to Robin Hoods Bay and Scarborough (as already mentioned.) Lots of lovely drives on the North Yorkshire Moors - Hole of Horcum, Goathland where 'Heartbeat' is set, a trip on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway from Goathland or Grosmont. The villages of Hutton-le-Hole, Rosedale Abbey and Thornton-le Dale are worth a visit. A bit further afield is Helmsley and the White Horse at Sutton Bank (a note here that Sutton Bank is not suitable for caravans) North of Whitby is Sandsend and further along Staithes is very small and quaint. Flamborough Head, south of Scarborough is worth a visit, as is Filey but maybe a bit too far if you just want to stay in the Whitby area. There are lots of places to walk and visit in the area. A walk to the top of Roseberry Topping near Great Ayton gives great views of the surrounding area.

http://www.discoveryorkshirecoast.com/content/Attractions/whitby-WTD-Attractions.asp

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
We spent 9 nights at the CC site near Scarborough in July and visited many of the places mentioned by Oklahoma. Would also recommend Eden Camp and FlamingoLand if you have kids - 2 great days out. Also several stately homes large and small within easy driving distance. Had not visited this area for several years and did not run out of things to do. Considering going back for a week next year.

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
Tonight on local TV there was a comprehensive feature about a guy who has just won "Fresh Seafood" ( NOT FISH AND CHIPS!!!!!!) of the year award. He is located in Whitby and the restaurant is called GREENS.

Also have a ride over to Pickering which is only about 12 miles away but is the pick up point for the Greaumont Steam Railway trip . Pickering is only 3 miles from Flamingoland which was mentioned previously.

Personally i love the whole area BUT one mans meat is another mans Poison!

Thanks Darryl

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
The Magpie is a superb restaurant, I went there for my birthday in January, a 120 mile round trip. They also sell their own recipe book which includes dishes such as: Monkfish with caper and coriander dressing, seafood risotto, seafood chowder, magpie seafood taster, halibut with wild mushroom and tarragon cream. It's certainly a lot more than fish and chips. A couple of years ago I was queing outside and the couple next to us were from Hong Kong, she was originally from Scarborough and she wanted to show her Hong Kong born husband how good it was. I've never been to Greens as I haven't work my way through the Magpie's menu yet.

Feb 23, 2008
Visit site
I always go to Hadleighs fish restaurant - over the bridge and on the right at the corner ( past the pub ). More reasonably priced than the Magpie.

If you are into walking then go over the bridge up past the abbey and follow the coastal path to Robin Hoods Bay - then back along the old railway line - a great walk but it is 13 mile-ish plus Sandfield house to Whitby. Its an easier walk than it looks as the old railway bed is flat. Alternatively you could use bikes on the old railway as a means of getting about.

I will be trying to book Sandfield House for the last weekend of this month, I hope I can get in whitby is a great little town - i hope you enjoy it too.

Steve G

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
hi we have just come back from a site near malton called brickyard lakes very nice and near to alot of places to visit we enjoyed the eden camp and the james herriot musuem some lovely villages and places to eat tea rooms and farm shops with some lovely food the magpie in whitby is lovely for fish and chips i can throughly recommend this part of yorkshire i love it and will be returning as soon as poss

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm glad this thread has been updated.

I'm going to Whitby at the end of October for the goth weekend. Really looking forward to it. We're stopping about four miles ouside Whitby.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts