Who can stop you.?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Evening Steve,

I know where you`re coming from, and appreciate the difficult job you have.

However, 30 years in the industry means I feel I also have a reasonable insight into what goes on on our roads, and have been assisting our local VOSA chappie over the past several months on investigating a particular "bent" outfit. Whilst it is true that the haulage industry as a whole is struggling, the greatest problem we find is greed by some profitable companies rather than the strugglers that causes rules to be disregarded.

We are forever getting job applications by drivers who are running "bent",with them saying that they want to operate legally (we`ve never had a prosecution, caution or serious accident in 20 years), but when they realise that they won`t get paid for doing 80-90hours per week, they suddenly aren`t interested and carry on doing what they are doing. (our lads aren`t particularly badly paid, not one earned less than 34k last year and they have an increase pending). So you see, it`s not just the tyrannical employer that causes the problems, there are a lot of drivers out there who are happy to put others at risk for their own financial gain.

I`m not having a go at the thousands of legitimate drivers, I don`t need to as they`re the ones that suffer by association every time there is a bad accident caused by tired and inattentive driving.

Anyway, more power to your elbow mate. Pity there aren`t more of you about.

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Evening Steve,

I know where you`re coming from, and appreciate the difficult job you have.

However, 30 years in the industry means I feel I also have a reasonable insight into what goes on on our roads, and have been assisting our local VOSA chappie over the past several months on investigating a particular "bent" outfit. Whilst it is true that the haulage industry as a whole is struggling, the greatest problem we find is greed by some profitable companies rather than the strugglers that causes rules to be disregarded.

We are forever getting job applications by drivers who are running "bent",with them saying that they want to operate legally (we`ve never had a prosecution, caution or serious accident in 20 years), but when they realise that they won`t get paid for doing 80-90hours per week, they suddenly aren`t interested and carry on doing what they are doing. (our lads aren`t particularly badly paid, not one earned less than 34k last year and they have an increase pending). So you see, it`s not just the tyrannical employer that causes the problems, there are a lot of drivers out there who are happy to put others at risk for their own financial gain.

I`m not having a go at the thousands of legitimate drivers, I don`t need to as they`re the ones that suffer by association every time there is a bad accident caused by tired and inattentive driving.

Anyway, more power to your elbow mate. Pity there aren`t more of you about.
Cheers Angus.

Regards

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have heard before that certain agencies have the authority to "cancel" an MOT cert. Now, I find that strange because an MOT cert clearly states its date of expiry. It is usually one year after issue. It does not say that it will expire if "Jobsworth" pulls the vehicle into a layby.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have heard before that certain agencies have the authority to "cancel" an MOT cert. Now, I find that strange because an MOT cert clearly states its date of expiry. It is usually one year after issue. It does not say that it will expire if "Jobsworth" pulls the vehicle into a layby.
Besides which, the MOT certificate only means that the vehicle was OK at that time, on that date. It does not mean the vehicle is OK for a year.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I can stop you ;-)

Some years ago whilst following a car the elderly driver veered to the left and went up a bank into a tree and bounced across the road blocking just before some bad bends. The driver and his daughter were quite badly injured and the car behind me was driven by a nurse and a colleague from the Royal Surrey, so I called the emergency services whilst they took care of the injured and I stopped the traffic whilst another motorist stopped it from the other direction. The Police came and told us to keep up the good work as they were short on numbers.

I've stopped the traffic on two other occasions when there have been accidents.

You just stand in the road :-( point at the vehicle and put your hand up making the Halt sign with the other hand out to bar them passing.

To my surprise the traffic has stopped without being able to see the accident ahead each time.

So I guuess anyone can stop the traffic :)

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Big Al,

No-one can cancel your MOT certificate once it has been issued.

If your car is stopped and checked by VOSA or a Police Officer who is an Authorised Examiner and found to be defective, then they will issue a notice called a PG9. The PG9 notice prohibits the use of that vehicle on a road until the defect(s) is repaired and the vehicle subjected to and passes an MOT inspection. The new MOT is then presented to a Police station and the PG9 is removed.

Different classes of vehicles may have other methods to clear the prohibition.

Also it's worth remembering that an MOT certificate only confirms that the vehicle was roadworthy at the time of the inspection.

Regards

Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Big Al,

No-one can cancel your MOT certificate once it has been issued.

If your car is stopped and checked by VOSA or a Police Officer who is an Authorised Examiner and found to be defective, then they will issue a notice called a PG9. The PG9 notice prohibits the use of that vehicle on a road until the defect(s) is repaired and the vehicle subjected to and passes an MOT inspection. The new MOT is then presented to a Police station and the PG9 is removed.

Different classes of vehicles may have other methods to clear the prohibition.

Also it's worth remembering that an MOT certificate only confirms that the vehicle was roadworthy at the time of the inspection.

Regards

Steve.
Duh, I said that three days ago!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts