Who is a naughty boy then.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Some of you may know my caravan suffered serious moron damage last October and still hasnt been repaired due to Covid. Its going in on the 18th May but I have no idea when I will see it again. Our hols are due to begin on 19th June, which was booked in 2019 for last year and then bumped on. With this in mind I have done the thing I used to hate other people doing and booked another holiday elsewhere for a month later, which, if the caravan is fixed in time I will not be using.

I used to hate it back in the day when people would book two or three sites for the same dates and then check the weather forecast, and being a no show on two of the selections. Now, I have done somethinbg similar myself.

Dear Deidre, does this make me a bad person?

Obviou;sy I would cancel the unwanted one in pleanty of time, But I feel a little guilty as the second one is during the summer school holidays.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some months back we wanted to book the Peak District but eventually finished up on the north York moors, which I’m sure will be very nice. Trying to get two weeks wasn’t easy.

Now I’m allowed out in early September after my ladies have just returned from the Rhodes and then the Highlands and I really fancied north Wales. Two weeks ago there was availability but my daughter still didn’t know where here nursing outplacements would be and when, so I held off booking. Since then I’ve got three nights at the new Wyeside CCC site in Rhayader en route, but I can’t get any club site for the subsequent 10 nights. I’ve even looked across to Lady Margaret’s at Chirk. Awning pitches a No No. Even non awning pitches show 100% availability in September except for one single night right in the middle of our planned stay. I don’t have the freedom to just go anytime despite having been retired since March 2000! Oh for the working days when life was planned.

My wife has suggested I book for 2022 but our track record 2018,19/and20 hasn’t been that great for various reasons. Even cancelling early doesn’t really help people like us who don’t have the flexibility to go on forecast.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
I tried to book a club site for four nights in the lakes yesterday, any club site would do, but zero availability. This is for June.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that most of the best sites will be booked up in the most popular spots and anyone wanting to book now may have to look at other places. I would suspect that the areas like the Lake District will be so full as to be no fun, but it may depend on what you want and will accept.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We found a nice place in Derbyshire dales it has panoramic views it a Adult Park with 5 pitches for caravans it got a toilet block / showers only two miles from Carsington Water. this one is in June

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that most of the best sites will be booked up in the most popular spots and anyone wanting to book now may have to look at other places. I would suspect that the areas like the Lake District will be so full as to be no fun, but it may depend on what you want and will accept.
I’m getting beyond the “ just accept” stage. Holiday planning used to be an enjoyable part of the experience, not just anywhere at any price.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dear Naughty Boy,

I remember driving up to Castleton for the day, and decided to look at the CC site there, it was on a Friday, and just after lunch time. I asked the Warden, how full they were, his reply was, we were fully booked last night for the weekend, and this morning we have had about 10 to 12 cancellations, he was quite, hacked off.
So even wanting to go there, I would have to have a 3 hour tow, given that it takes me an hour to collect the van and get ready to go, its a No Go.
It hacks me off that people book several places and then don't turn up. And I know it happens a lot on the most popular sites.

No it doesn't make you a Naughty Boy, but don't do it too often

May 24, 2014
Visit site
In my case, if the caravan is ready for june i will be giving about six weeks notice, but it is still something i wouldnt do unless i was desperate.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In my case, if the caravan is ready for june i will be giving about six weeks notice, but it is still something i wouldnt do unless i was desperate.
At this time, I think you are Exonerated, drink two Adnams Ghost Ships, and no more after the first three. 🍺🍺🍺

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well have managed to book two sites for early September mid and North Wales. When I went off roading I camped at the Rhyader Wyeside site so particularly wanted to visit that site since the CCC had taken it over and refurbished it. Plus the town which is a very short walk away has some good pubs and eateries too.

The next 8 days I found a small farm site with showers, hard standing etc only 0.8 miles from Caernarfon so well sited for a pub(s) and also for touring the area. For the latter search I used Pitch Up for the first time; excellent way to carry out a filtered search.

Bought a new Calorlite yesterday, next action to replace the 4.5 year old tyres within the next couple of weeks.

PS Edit just need now to look at Autumn half term sites for an October break.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well have managed to book two sites for early September mid and North Wales. When I went off roading I camped at the Rhyader Wyeside site so particularly wanted to visit that site since the CCC had taken it over and refurbished it. Plus the town which is a very short walk away has some good pubs and eateries too.

The next 8 days I found a small farm site with showers, hard standing etc only 0.8 miles from Caernarfon so well sited for a pub(s) and also for touring the area. For the latter search I used Pitch Up for the first time; excellent way to carry out a filtered search.

Bought a new Calorlite yesterday, next action to replace the 4.5 year old tyres within the next couple of weeks.

PS Edit just need now to look at Autumn half term sites for an October break.
Hi otherclive I hope you have a nice and invigorating time,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would have thought 4.5 year old tyres would still be fine although they would need checking.
General guidance these days is no more than 5 years for the higher pressure tyres abs look for deterioration from year 3. Why just year 3 onwards. I check mine each trip out. Mine are 59 psi. I had it checked at AWS service in Decembervand had a good look at them last week. Sidewalls look okay and could not see evidence of cracks in tread base. They are Hankook a good quality make. But even though the van gets moved periodically that doesn’t really keep the plasticisers as well distributed as normal road running does.
The way I look at it is that new Hankook are £160 fitted and GTRadials about £125 fitted. That will see me until 2026 and I get the assurance of newer tyres until just before my 80 th birthday 😂. I will however hang on to the spare for another 12 months as it’s never been used, stowed in the locker and regularly sprayed with rubber protectant.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The clubs have upped the change period to seven years, although yes they should be checked regularly.
Caravan Club advise is start to check at 3 years abs replace at 5 years for tyres running at high pressure. IE above 50 psi. Mine are 59 psi cold inflation pressure.
Ever since my motorbike days I’ve been “ tyre aware”. Anyway if I change now the new ones will take me to near 80, I get best use from them, and I can’t say if I will be caravanning by then or even able or around to caravan. Plus they will be a key selling point 😂

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I doubt very much if there are any manufacturers out there that manufacture tyres specifically for caravans. I would think that a caravan tyre is one made for a commecial vehicle.
My tyres are Hankook for light truck use IE C rated. But there are at least two tyre manufacturers that make tyres specifically for trailers. I had Kenda installed on my Trigano pop top, and GT Radial Kargomax ST6000on my Bailey S5. Both had embossed markings on the side noting for trailer use only. But I note some outlets advertise the GT Radial for light truck use. Unfortunately I cannot fit GT Radial ST 4000 or ST 6000 as they don’t make my size. I don’t want to play with alternative sizes like a did on the Bailey as on this van wheel arch clearance is less.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Due to past experiences a few years ago with Hankook we have added them to the list of tyres that we would not have on either our cars or caravan. The other one is Dunlop.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Due to past experiences a few years ago with Hankook we have added them to the list of tyres that we would not have on either our cars or caravan. The other one is Dunlop.
Thats okay I’m sure Mercedes Benz and others will still be fitting them as OEM.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts