Who thought of this acronym: ARRS

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To try and relieve the chronic shortage of GPs where despite repeated targets being given since 2015 numbers have steadily fallen, a new initiate was announced in 2019. That initiative is the Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme, or ARRS, which aims to recruit more health related staff to support and to integrate into the Primary care sector. Some 17000 ARRS personnel had been recruited by March this year, but shouldn't there have been a better title for the initiative. Clearly what is required is a Senior Head of Integrated Teams to check on acronyms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
To try and relieve the chronic shortage of GPs where despite repeated targets being given since 2015 numbers have steadily fallen, a new initiate was announced in 2019. That initiative is the Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme, or ARRS, which aims to recruit more health related staff to support and to integrate into the Primary care sector. Some 17000 ARRS personnel had been recruited by March this year, but shouldn't there have been a better title for the initiative. Clearly what is required is a Senior Head of Integrated Teams to check on acronyms.
Moreso
Community Rolling Action Plan

Reactions: otherclive

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
In the hospital where I used to work, they once advertised for a staff member to take the lead in care of people who had little time left to live. They chose to call this role:
“End of Life Facilitator”.
mel

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In the hospital where I used to work, they once advertised for a staff member to take the lead in care of people who had little time left to live. They chose to call this role:
“End of Life Facilitator”.
mel
That’s a real cracker, 🤣

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

How rude. 😀

Also a shortage of dentist. We were at a neighbours yesterday. My phone went and it was the dentist. They wanted to cancel my checkups as my dentist ‘Bret’ was leaving. I told them that I had never had Bret. She checked and agreed, but still needed to check as the one I last had was also probably leaving. After some insistence I was rebooked. But they will probably have to cancel, as they cannot recruit.

My neighbour overhead the conversation and asked what was happening with Bret. So I told her. She was annoyed, as she has just started £700 of treatment with him and she has not been informed.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our "adopted" daughter's business in South Africa was recruiting medical staff to work in the UK. When Covid hit, the business came to a complete standstill.
She started it again recently, but getting visas for them to enter the UK is now taking several or more months. These medical people who she has recruited give up on the UK and choose another country.
Strangely enough many of the qualified doctors that she recruited in the past, worked for the NHS in a surgery for a couple of months before moving on. Their argument was how can you diagnose a person in 10 minutes and also the chances of seeing the same person again were remote.
South African doctors are far more qualified than our GPs and in some cases you can see a SA doctor in the morning and in the afternoon he could be operating on you. Obviously not for complex issues, just routine like appendicitis, tonsillitis etc.
These SA doctors do not rely on nurses to take blood and they can administer injections. At our surgery if you require an injection from a doctor, for some strange reason only 2 of the doctors can do injections or minor surgery.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My wife has just had her second hip replacement. Compared to the first one there is a lot more 'do it yourself'.

Just as a couple of points - the first time we had a visit from the Occupational Therapist before the op who assessed our house; toilet height, chair height, bed height, number of stairs and hand rails etc. This time we had a form to fill in on which we had to put the measurements for those details.

Also after a week the dressing has to be removed. First time this was done at our local health centre by a nurse. This time we have a leaflet which provides a link to a video on how to remove it yourself.

I'm not saying these are wrong in our case and it was obvious that the hospital was short staffed. But there will be some that cannot do it themselves, although I'm sure in those cases one to one help would become available.

Fortunately with both hips now done we wont be receiving the kit bag full of bits included spray cans of anesthetic and disposable scalples. :)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As you may know I have been diagnosed with terminal cancer.
Over a week ago I had a blood testwhich showed all most of the various levels were either too high or too low.
In particular the Haemaglobin levels were almost non existant and the Elecrtrolyte levels were also very low.
The result of those two levels has left me feeling very tired all the time and drop off to sleep with no warning, and I get confused frequently.
I have spoken to one of the GP's at my local surgery who have referred me to the Oncology unit who were supposed to review the test results and get back to me with a plan of what to do.
A week later nd still no contatc from Oncology, so another GP consultation with the GP yet again contacting Oncology and despite this, still no contact from them.
Both the Doctors and after reading up on the symptoms, we both agree that I need a blood transfusion and an infusion to restore the Electrolyte balance., but the GP's cannot order this as I am under Oncology, who , it seems, are reluctant to talk to me, or the "Lead Nurse" does not know what to do.
In the meantime I amleft in limbo, feeling really ill and no help forthcoming.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Over a week ago I had a blood testwhich showed all most of the various levels were either too high or too low.
In particular the Haemaglobin levels were almost non existant and the Elecrtrolyte levels were also very low.
The result of those two levels has left me feeling very tired all the time and drop off to sleep with no warning, and I get confused frequently.
I have spoken to one of the GP's at my local surgery who have referred me to the Oncology unit who were supposed to review the test results and get back to me with a plan of what to do.
A week later nd still no contatc from Oncology, so another GP consultation with the GP yet again contacting Oncology and despite this, still no contact from them.
Both the Doctors and after reading up on the symptoms, we both agree that I need a blood transfusion and an infusion to restore the Electrolyte balance., but the GP's cannot order this as I am under Oncology, who , it seems, are reluctant to talk to me, or the "Lead Nurse" does not know what to do.
I can understand your absolute frustration in trying to obtain the necessary support. It really is a post code lottery. Yesterday a good friend died after a battle with mesothelioma, yet throughout his illness the support that he has received from the NHS in the north west has been responsive to his needs, and targeted on allowing him to remain at home. This has been coordinated via Barrow in Furness hospital in conjunction with the Preston oncology department, local district and Macmillan nurses and the hospice. When we last chatted a week ago he said he couldn’t fault the care he has received. It’s a shame it cannot be replicated nationwide.

I hope that you can get some progress without further delay in getting the treatment required to counter your symptoms. 🤞🏼

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Our "adopted" daughter's business in South Africa was recruiting medical staff to work in the UK. When Covid hit, the business came to a complete standstill.
She started it again recently, but getting visas for them to enter the UK is now taking several or more months. These medical people who she has recruited give up on the UK and choose another country.
Strangely enough many of the qualified doctors that she recruited in the past, worked for the NHS in a surgery for a couple of months before moving on. Their argument was how can you diagnose a person in 10 minutes and also the chances of seeing the same person again were remote.
South African doctors are far more qualified than our GPs and in some cases you can see a SA doctor in the morning and in the afternoon he could be operating on you. Obviously not for complex issues, just routine like appendicitis, tonsillitis etc.
These SA doctors do not rely on nurses to take blood and they can administer injections. At our surgery if you require an injection from a doctor, for some strange reason only 2 of the doctors can do injections or minor surgery.
I had a heart scan performed by a newly arrived South African lady this week. She was lovely and I really felt for her having to make the decision to leave her family and friends behind but she just did not feel safe in SA. She was still getting used to being able to go to bed with the bedroom window open and not living in a personal prison.
As for Doctors (GP's) in the UK, we do seem to have gone backwards, my old GP that I saw for many years would stitch up a cut, or do a steroid injection in to a shoulder joint or give a nebuliser to an asthmatic daughter and could even do a vasectomy , but he retired and now the surgery can't even do an ECG anymore

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

When I went through the radio & chemotherapy in late 2020 for my throat cancer our Oncology department were brilliant considering that we were in the middle of the Covid epidemic. I was kept up to date at all times and still have face to face consultations to this day.

At the moment OH is being left in limbo with her issues and is being referred from one to the other. She has already seen several different consultants and is still none the wiser what is wrong with her. Still two more to go within the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had a heart scan performed by a newly arrived South African lady this week. She was lovely and I really felt for her having to make the decision to leave her family and friends behind but she just did not feel safe in SA. She was still getting used to being able to go to bed with the bedroom window open and not living in a personal prison.
Exactly whyour daughter and family are moving to UK. No fun being caught in a wild west shoot out between police and robbers in a shopping mall. The robbers are well armed and brazen robbing places in daylight in shopping malls. Sadly no isolated incident either.
She is British, but spouse and son are South African. Despite demonstrating they have ample funds and paid a NHS surcharge of nearly £2000 they are still waiting for visas as Ukrainians are getting priority over families of British citizens. Daughter already has a job in the UK and grandson a place in a school. Spouse is a highly skilled IT person and has worked for himself for the past 20 years and has bene earning a very good salary.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When I went through the radio & chemotherapy in late 2020 for my throat cancer our Oncology department were brilliant considering that we were in the middle of the Covid epidemic. I was kept up to date at all times and still have face to face consultations to this day.

At the moment OH is being left in limbo with her issues and is being referred from one to the other. She has already seen several different consultants and is still none the wiser what is wrong with her. Still two more to go within the next 2 - 3 weeks.

As a family we are going through the same turmoil. This is at Cheltenham. My son has been diagnosed with very early kidney cancer and is due to have part of a kidney removed on 8/8.22. The oncology have been fantastic with him.

With the same hospital I am under Vascular. And have been for 6 years. They have been truly hopeless. They made many attempts to get rid of me saying it was not vascular and passing me to :
Muscular Skeletal
Respiratory
Cardiology
Neurology
Neoro Physiology.

All a waste of time and much public money as I ended up back we're I started and, with much insistence from myself, my GP and the cardiologist and the neurologist, they gave my a simple ultra sound and said that they worry if arteries are blocked down to 50%. Mine were 70%. So a wasted 3 years in which I was forced onto a mobility scooter.

They operated. The surgeon said he would see me in the future for stents to be fitted. After 3 years I went back via my GP. That was February. I have had to insist on an ultra sound. But they again wanted me to go to muscular skeletal. As I told them I have returned to a blockage. They sent me a letter saying stents would be too dangerous. (why not speak to me). Yesterday I saw the main man. He started by saying it was too dangerous and that stents can block. Then he looked at the scans and said ’wow’. Seems I am now up to 90% blocked. He changed his mind and is now suggesting stents. Now agreeing with what the surgeon said over 3 years ago.

Another 6 months wasted, and yes I have had to buy another mobility scooter.

All the other departments I have attended have been great, but I don't believe the vascular are fit for purpose. I wish now I had made a complaint after the last round as my GP wanted me to do.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have been lucky.
Left knee gave up. Bought an electric buggy just to get around. Even took on holiday.
During Covid get sent to a private hospital in Bath. Our local has a 30 month wait for knees and hips🤬
New knee at Bath. NHS paid all.
The bonus is NHS are paying for Bath to sort my right knee in December( date my choice!)
No more buggy,. Now it’s bike riding and walking👏👏
BUT once I left Bath three days later I was alone. Locally we have a private Physiotherapist. A SA lass who studied at Stelenbosch Uni for 4 years. Used her 8 times my expense. Brilliant. Her treatment book is full. Plus I hired a machine. Game Ready for 4 weeks. An electric cuff that relaxes , compresses and runs ice cold water around the wound area.
HMG have allowed fat cats to run the NHS. Fat salaries but low wages for those at the coal face 🤬🤬🤬
Rant over. If you can get it your local NHS Trust will pay for you privately

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have been lucky.
Left knee gave up. Bought an electric buggy just to get around. Even took on holiday.
During Covid get sent to a private hospital in Bath. Our local has a 30 month wait for knees and hips🤬
The bonus is NHS are paying for Bath to sort my right knee in December( date my choice!)
BUT once I left Bath three days later I was alone. Locally we have a private Physiotherapist. A SA lass who studied at Stelenbosch Uni for 4 years. Used her 8 times my expense. Brilliant. Her treatment book is full. Plus I hired a machine. Game Ready for 4 weeks. An electric cuff that relaxes , compresses and runs ice cold water around the wound area.
HMG have allowed fat cats to run the NHS. Fat salaries but low wages for those at the coal face 🤬🤬🤬

As I said, our vascular are not fit for purpose in my opinion. But they are over stretched and even cover for Swindon which is out of county. Any private provision is covered by the same people. So not much hope in that direction.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been lucky.
A friend of ours has within three years had two hips replacement and one knee replacement. All three operations were done on the NHS at private hospitals, one at Bath. Clinic and two at what was Spire near Radstock. You can if you wanted to try and opt for an operation out of area where operating slots may be more available.

I worry that no one is fundamentally taking a strategic view of what the NHS should look like in the future and how it should be funded. We have less beds, doctors and nurses per head of population than France and Germany. Clinical outcomes for cancer and cardiology improved but still never closed the gap with Germany, France, Netherlands or Scandinavian countries. Dental care is almost non existent in many areas. The integration of health and social care is patchy and bed blocking endemic. Despite the best efforts of front line and ancillary staff the performance seems to be going backwards in too many areas. And now it’s likely to be faced with a curtailment of funds if the NI surcharge is cancelled, and any wage increases over 3% are funded from budgets. Yet if anyone asks could there be a better way it’s as if they have committed blasphemy.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As I said, our vascular are not fit for purpose in my opinion. But they are over stretched and even cover for Swindon which is out of county. Any private provision is covered by the same people. So not much hope in that direction.

John
Yes with the traditional set up even going private you are likely to be fishing in the same pond.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have been lucky.
Stellenbosch in the middle of wine country churns out some of the best medical doctors or surgeons in SA. The other renown institute is Uni of Cape Town where Christian Barnard of first heart transplant fame.
My right knee has been playing up for some time and I might as well be talking to a brick wall when I see the RA consultant. Now it is consultations over the phone which is a total waste of time and effort however the probably still get the same fee.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Stellenbosch in the middle of wine country churns out some of the best medical doctors or surgeons in SA. The other renown institute is Uni of Cape Town where Christian Barnard of first heart transplant fame.
My right knee has been playing up for some time and I might as well be talking to a brick wall when I see the RA consultant. Now it is consultations over the phone which is a total waste of time and effort however the probably still get the same fee.
It really is a post code lottery, or is it?
When I was referred early last year I was given a choice of 6/7 hospitals, Swindon x 2 had nothing, then Bath , Bristol, Reading , Devizes Cheltenham .
NHS are paying for elective knee and hip surgery at private hospitals. Your GP must refer you .
There’s a form , The Oxford score sheet.. Tick them all “can’t do it”. You’re in😉

TRENDING THREADS