Why are Avtex TVs so expensive?

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I'm looking to purchase my first caravan TV, but I cannot justify the expense on an Avtex one; even though they have all the features I want and have the bonus of being dual voltage. This 24" Avtex is £450. For the same money I could buy this 49" 4K Samsung (Actually 95p cheaper!)

I'm not bothered by the 12v power supply but I'd like the following features:
22-24" 720/1080p Screen size
Freeview HD
Built in DVD player
Ability to pause/rewind Live TV [via USB stick] But not fussed about 'smart' features.

I know this is chump change compared to the flagship TVs, but I'm looking to spend no more than £150. Do you have any recommendations or advice for a caravan TV?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
I'm looking to purchase my first caravan TV, but I cannot justify the expense on an Avtex one; even though they have all the features I want and have the bonus of being dual voltage. This 24" Avtex is £450. For the same money I could buy this 49" 4K Samsung (Actually 95p cheaper!)

I'm not bothered by the 12v power supply but I'd like the following features:
22-24" 720/1080p Screen size
Freeview HD
Built in DVD player
Ability to pause/rewind Live TV [via USB stick] But not fussed about 'smart' features.

I know this is chump change compared to the flagship TVs, but I'm looking to spend no more than £150. Do you have any recommendations or advice for a caravan TV?

We still use a relatively old BEKO domestic LCD tv that has inbuilt Freeview, DVD player and USB/SD inputs which allow recording, and playback of recordings, or music/photos etc if required. It doesn't have12 volts, but that doesn't bother us. Even if you were to buy a tv without DVD/Blue-ray a stand alone player isn't very expensive at less than £30. Ive always though AVTEX to be too expensive too.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
It's all to do with market size, and the availability of the LCD panels.
If you look at TV's in the likes of Currys these days, the category is "under 42", and that shows only one under 22"

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
We still use a relatively old BEKO domestic LCD tv that has inbuilt Freeview, DVD player and USB/SD inputs which allow recording, and playback of recordings, or music/photos etc if required. It doesn't have12 volts, but that doesn't bother us. Even if you were to buy a tv without DVD/Blue-ray a stand alone player isn't very expensive at less than £30. Ive always though AVTEX to be too expensive too.

I had been looking at only 'domestic' mains powered TVs, with some Hitachi and Toshiba examples having most of the features required minus the record/pause feature. However, this Ferguson TV seems to fit the bill and it is 12volt. But, is it just a re-badged Cello TV? Are they any good?

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
It's all to do with market size, and the availability of the LCD panels.
If you look at TV's in the likes of Currys these days, the category is "under 42", and that shows only one under 22"

I agree that sub-22" tvs are scarce, but that doesn't justify the cost of their 24" offering. There are plenty of 22/24" inch TVs out there at a reasonable cost; it just seems like the brand which markets itself as RV/Leisure specific is price gouging. Still, they are cheap compared to this thirteen thousand pound TV.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:

I had been looking at only 'domestic' mains powered TVs, with some Hitachi and Toshiba examples having most of the features required minus the record/pause feature. However, this Ferguson TV seems to fit the bill and it is 12volt. But, is it just a re-badged Cello TV? Are they any good?

Same company, same address under "Contact"

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Avtex is expensive, but you get built in Freeview, Freesat and built in DVD player, which means no extra boxes, and therefore minimal wiring. Also the viewing angle is wide and a decent picture quality, plus they are light and designed for mobile use.

Reactions: Paullus1959

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
Quality costs. It's why it is generally missing from caravan construction. :dry:

One pays one's money and takes one's choice.

I’m with you. Quality will out. Our Avtex is great.
Mel

Reactions: Paullus1959
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Avtex are made using the same components from the same Chinese factories are all the other brands including supermarket own brands. ..... unless you know otherwise.
Caravanning is a niche market and people who sell into niche markets know people will pay extra if something is marketed as being specially made for that market - even if its virtually identical to what you can get elsewhere.. Its the same with all hobbies.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
alan29 said:
Avtex are made using the same components from the same Chinese factories are all the other brands including supermarket own brands. ..... unless you know otherwise.
Caravanning is a niche market and people who sell into niche markets know people will pay extra if something is marketed as being specially made for that market - even if its virtually identical to what you can get elsewhere.. Its the same with all hobbies.

True enough, but it doesn't alter the fact that I'm very happy with our Avtex tv set. :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Basically they are built in smaller numbers and have additional features so they cost more. Whether you feel the cost is justified by these facts is a matter of personal opinion.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
alan29 said:

That's as maybe, but the purchaser specifies the quality and technical parameters for those components...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We’ve only ever used domestic TVs for use in the caravans. Never had a problem and they have always travelled in the van encased in a proprietary travel bag and surrounded by duvets. On return the tv will then be used in a bedroom or by the “ironing fairy”.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
We’ve only ever used domestic TVs for use in the caravans. Never had a problem and they have always travelled in the van encased in a proprietary travel bag and surrounded by duvets. On return the tv will then be used in a bedroom or by the “ironing fairy”.

Same here we have two 2o inch TVs that went from the house into the caravan and travel on the top bunk in the duvets cushioned so no damage is caused , these both have built-in Freeview and DVD players and have been in the caravan for the last 5 or 6 years . Its enough for us . Spent enough on getting stuff ready for the caravan rather than spending 3 or £400 for a TV

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Had an Avtex for years and years. Been perfect. Has usb and dvd but nowt else. No complaints and would buy again.

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
I don't why they are expensive but I bough one 4 or 5 years ago. I returned it for a refund as there was too much reflection on the screen. Most tvs have a dull anti reflective screen.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Danddandy said:
I don't why they are expensive but I bough one 4 or 5 years ago. I returned it for a refund as there was too much reflection on the screen. Most tvs have a dull anti reflective screen.

Pretty sure my Samsung TV in the lounge has a reflective screen... its not really an issue in there; may need all the blinds closed in the caravan though.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We use a bog standard domestic tv bought for around £120 from Argos which has Freeview and a built in DVD player for the caravan.
We do go off grid and use solar power occasionally, but on those occasions we rarely watch tv anyway so the cost of a 12v Avtex couldn't be justified for me.
Our caravan tv (I can't remember which brand because it lives in the caravan permanently) has a flat non-reflective 22" screen and it gives a good clear picture.
Each to their own, but for us an ordinary tele is fine.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The viewing angle on an Avtex is wide and a decent picture quality however sound is terrible. They are made in China so you can bet your bottom dollar that Avtex are buying them in for under £100 each.
No one can knock the after sale support from Avtex. Our first one they exchanged when we complained about the reflective screen. That went faulty a year later and it was exchanged for another Avtex which sadly only last about 4 months. They exchanged it again and we have had the current one for a number of years which we use with a Bose mini speaker for better sound.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Cost aside, the fact is that they are convenient to use. Dependent on your requirements, you don't have buy extra box(es), accept the extra weight, find space for them, wire up and look at the resulting rats nest, then undo it all on departure.

Reactions: PTA
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
So after mulling it over, I decided to purchase this TV: https://fergusontv.com/shop/televisions/ferguson-22-full-hd-led-12-volt-tv-with-built-in-dvd-player/ - £139.99 delivered.

It's £260 cheaper than the equivalent Avtex - with all the same features including a 12v adaptor. I imagine the picture will not be as good, nor the viewing angle, but we will see how it performs as an occasional use TV.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
So after mulling it over, I decided to purchase this TV: https://fergusontv.com/shop/televisions/ferguson-22-full-hd-led-12-volt-tv-with-built-in-dvd-player/ - £139.99 delivered.

It's £260 cheaper than the equivalent Avtex - with all the same features including a 12v adaptor. I imagine the picture will not be as good, nor the viewing angle, but we will see how it performs as an occasional use TV.

I’m sure that in a caravan the viewing angle will be fine. We’ve had our LCD Beko for a number of years and it doubles up in a guest bedroom too.
I guess that your new one will have HDMI 2.0 with ARC. So a Sonos Beam would work a treat. :)

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:

I have the Finlux branded version, from what I have read there are several brands that put their name to this TV.

Picture quality and all the other features are very good, the only negative comment I have is that the sound quality is rather poor.

A 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack lead connected to the caravan stereo system makes the entire package really pleasant to use. I will be surprised if you find it less satisfying than I do, enjoy.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
CustardAvenger said:

I’m sure that in a caravan the viewing angle will be fine. We’ve had our LCD Beko for a number of years and it doubles up in a guest bedroom too.
I guess that your new one will have HDMI 2.0 with ARC. So a Sonos Beam would work a treat. :)

A customer photo I saw depicting the viewing angle on a Cello version was taken as if they were standing over the tv looking down... i doubt I will be watching like that!

TRENDING THREADS