Why do they do it?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Coming back from Portugal the other week, we stopped in a campsite just into France. Parked in an empty area with 8 pitches down one side of the road and 8 down the other. We were the only 'van there so parked in the middle pitch of one side. We went out for the afternoon, when we came back there were two other outfits there. A motorhome was parked directly opposite us (he must have had a job getting in 'cos the road wasn't very wide), the other was parked alongside us so close that we could almost touch them from our doorway. Plus the kids in this 'van were leaning out of the window shouting hello (or rather hola as they were Spanish). Why did they choose to park so near to us? We hitched up and moved. Anti social? Yes I suppose so.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
If it's any consolation Paul, it happens in UK as well...

A year or two ago I parked in the very large car park at County Gate
(Somerset/Devon border) and was the only car in the whole car park it being early spring and pouring with rain...

Along came a chap in a small white van and, would you believe it. chose to park right along side my car...being practically empty there were masses of spaces available; he could have chosen any one of at least 50 or so,,, but No he had to park right along side me and so close, that when he opened his door it bashed the side of my car!

Old paws felt like biting him on the ankle... but settled in the end for a few fierce barks!

He didn't look Spanish so perhaps its an international thing!

Happy Caravanning
paws

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Must admit that on sites we would not park in a wide empty space but reasonably close to others feeling that that is a better way. We do not get too close like those quoted but prefer to have others around.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Its not just caravans. Years ago when madam and i were in the very early 20s and pre kids, i had an alfa GTV6. Sleek black and polished to kill. One night we stopped at a country in which was completely empty. Beauty of an evening still in the high 70s. Pub totally empty so we got a drink and sat down. Lo and behold, in walks a guy in a duffel coat holding some sort of metal pipe and walks straight across an empty pub to sit down at our table. So we look at each other and yours truly says "Alright buddy". "Yes thank you" says this weedy voice reserved for people that wear duffel coats. "Feeling a bit lonely" asks I" only to be pubched hard under the table by madam. "Busy innit" i try again. Madam punches me harder and dopey isnt getting the message. At this point in walk some more of the duffel coat brigade and join us at our table. And then more and more of em. At this point Ive had enough and drink my drink and out we go. The car that had been left on its own on the car park was now utterly surrounded and blocked in by Citroen 2 cvs. And then the penny dropped. 2cv owners club.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Not yet had this happen with the van,,but had it loads of times when we camped,,,so close sometimes the guy ropes were overlapping,,,eventually we cured it by putting trike we traveled on one side and the trailer the other.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I must admit, I we like to have company but when pitching up respect that other do not always want Neighbors so would leave a couple of free pitches is available. Also having two dogs, I would like to let them have a bit longer lead than the required 2 meters, unless on crowded sites. Got a lovely CL site near Banbury where each pitch is enclosed and you can let your dogs off leads, and the pitchs are about 50 ft x 50ft if not larger, easily large enough to have two units on each. "The old Forge"

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well i have seen it all now. Been outside with the cadac in full flame and watched two caravans pull in together. Legs down, hook up in and then the pair of them attached the front towing covers. What the heck do they think those covers are.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mobile advertising for the company that overcharged them for the caravan and the awning they didnt want.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
pensioner said:
Not yet had this happen with the van,,but had it loads of times when we camped,,,so close sometimes the guy ropes were overlapping,,,eventually we cured it by putting trike we traveled on one side and the trailer the other.

This used to happen regularly during our tenting days at the free-for-all, pitch-where-you-can New Forest campsites. We are taking the van to Hollands wood at the end of May, meeting up with some friends and extended family so I expect a certain amount of pitch encroachment.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On one site we visited, noticed one caravan with a chair outside and a Trombone on the chair, two empty pitches on both sides, never did hear the chap play it.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I knew a chap years ago, who used to set out his "battle lines" as soon as he pitched.

He would set up a washing line down each side of his pitch filled with nappies and baby clothes....

Needless to say he didn't have any children, but neither did he ever ( so it is said) have any neighbours getting too close...

I think he kept the whole kit and caboodle, pegged as well, rolled up in a cupboard ready to just put up as soon as he arrived!

Happy Caravanning
paws

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
'One' guy we knew liked his space and privacy, particularly on CLs, used to carry an old 'beat up' child's bike lean it against the draw bar when he arrived, and then hammer in a swing ball post in 'his space'. Apparently never got 'over neighboured' . Must confess seeing a swing ball post erected near a pitch is a big deterrent to us also, whatever the site!

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
On one site we visited, noticed one caravan with a chair outside and a Trombone on the chair, two empty pitches on both sides, never did hear the chap play it.

must try that one.....as a guitar player in a gigging band I could leave a 100w Marshall amp on display and see what happens....... B)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You wouldn't want to pitch next to him, what a thug :angry:
Looks like your having fun, have to try brining my sons drum kit to a pitch one day and see what happens.

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
You wouldn't want to pitch next to him, what a thug :angry:
Looks like your having fun, have to try brining my sons drum kit to a pitch one day and see what happens.

smash that caravanner stereotype I say................ :evil:

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
You see the territorial markings a lot on free for all tenting sites. The tent goes up, sometime two or three tents when families or friends go together, and then the wind breaks and associated boundary markers daring anyone to come within ten feet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts