WHY IS FUEL GOING UP AGAIN ?

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Is it just me or has anybody else noticed the slow but gradual rise in fuel prices. I was led to belive oil was at one its lowest prices. I am starting to wonder if the goverment is letting this happen to support the huge dept it has took on. I live on merseyside and i have seen diesel costing £1 per litre, i am just about fed up with it now, i think we are all being had off

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Its because the dropping of the interest rates, levels of borrowing and the new posh phrase for "printing money" has devalued the

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, l live in west sussex and the price of diesel varies from garage to garage. It varies between 99.9p and 101.9p a litre around here. Petrol is about 88.9p and 92.9p a litre.

Gary.

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
so there is a trend, it just annoys me so much, I know oil is bought in dollars but the americans are paying nothing like this. and even some countries that dont even produce any oil are shipping not pipeing it in and they pay less i just think we are getting ripped off

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Danny,

The price we pay at the pump does not really reflect he cost of the crude the oil refineries buy.

There is a cost to refining it and profit, but the bulk of what we pay goes to our beloved government either as VAT or Fuel duty.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
While I do understand your view John, I also share Danny's annoyance.

It's about time Gordon and his morons (The old punk classic)took control and delivered a package of real assistance to the public to help us through this recession.

Everyone who drives is looking to save every penny they can just to make ends meet. My daughter passed her driving test and got a car as it is cheaperfor her to drive from uni in Taunton to us in Herefordshire than to use three trains. But we compare notes before she leaves on the price of fuel as even 1p a litre saved equals

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve,

I agree with most of Steve has written,

But I have to question the point about the oil industry making billions, Yes they do make a profit and it might seem large by our standards, But you cannot look at profit alone. You have to look at the profit compared to turnover.

Every company needs to make a profit, otherwise it would fold. Break even isn't even an option, because of the need to compensate for inflationary pressures and reinvestment in tools, What you bought last year will cost more next year for the same.

Realistically for a company to be considered as having a viable long term future, it needs to be producing at least 5% above inflation, and some where raw materials or overheads are price volatile 8 to 10% is the nearer the mark.

The media is always looking to make company results as sensational as possible, and they often only quote part of the relevant information depending on the angle they are trying to make.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think I've missed something here. As at this morning diesel is now the cheapest it's ever been here for months. See below.

Cheers

Dustydog

This is your petrol prices update from www.petrolprices.com. Your current

settings are to receive e-mail updates weekly.

3 cheapest stations within 5 miles of "SN6 6EF" for Diesel...

---------------------------------------------

Station : Seven Bridges Filling Station

Address : Cirencester Road Southbound, Cricklade, Swindon, SN6 6JR

Brand : Gulf

Distance : 2.09

Price : 97.2p

Updated : 08-03-2009

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The article i found most interesting is the one where Opec said oil needs to be $100 a barrel otherwise they cant afford to fund exploration to find new deposits.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stephen,

Your reference to milk is not quite as simple as you make out:

Some shops sell it by the Pint and others by the Litre.

The size of bottle you are refering to is either 4 Pints or 2Litres, and there is difference. 4pints = 2.27 Litres so you would expect the 2Litre bottles to be less.

Even allowing for the volume difference,

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for you opinions guys, cant say i feel any diferent about it. I think all these fuel companies are a cartel and i belive that is not legal, but it will never be proven against them.I think if every motorist stopped using one particuler company for one week then things would soon turn around and kept doing that to them all then they would listen, wishfull thinking. I remember when diesel was sold as a by product and they nearly give it away so i will never accept that we are not getting ripped of. regards to you all Dan

Feb 20, 2006
Visit site
the price will start to go up more as we get closer to easter,as more people start to drive more hols,days out ,etc.as the americans call it the driving season,the more we use it the more the companys put the price up,they have got to keep the share holders happy!!!!,and keep the pension pot full for the directors,

G

Danny,

You are absolutely right, there is a 'cartel'. However, that is not really surprising when you look at it cooly. The energy industry, and I use that word rather than oil because many of these Companies are into other energy sources as well, is a global industry probably employing more people than anything else on earth. As such they need to know what each other Compoany is doing because otherwise chaos woudl reign, and we would suffer from it. As they often supply each other with crude, and fules, they need to have prices that match that state of affairs. As you rightly state they make large profits, but they also have huge costs as well. It usually takes a success ratio of 1 in 10 to find recoverable oil or gas and as some wells can cost up to

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
weel scotch lad, i am sure the debate will roll on a bit more, got a shock when i red your reply i thought you where calling me DARLING !!!!! then i realised you meant Alister... ha ha. cheer's mate Dan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts