Why......

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
not the best idea to have our full names viewable to all mr moderater, any one can cross reference a name with the phone book and find out the likely homes that have vans to steal as most of us have at some time given a rough idea as to our location.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think we all agree that what ever has happened it is not sensible or acceptable. I have emailed the moderator -

Temple Internet [info@templenet.co.uk] - you may like to do the same but be aware he/she is not a PCV employee.

So a message to PC direct may be more useful

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I think we all agree that what ever has happened it is not sensible or acceptable. I have emailed the moderator -

Temple Internet [info@templenet.co.uk] - you may like to do the same but be aware he/she is not a PCV employee.

So a message to PC direct may be more useful
This is not very clever!!.. Iv'e just sent my email to PC.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was surprized at this move as it is not usual to give full names as the identifyer on Forums. However, on reflection I see no problem other than we should all now be more carefull about saying where we reside. The worry of toe-rags using this forum to identify where we are in the world and target our caravans is surely not something anybody would welcome.

I am disapointed that PCV did not consider this if the change is a deliberate decision. I for one have indicated the area in which I live on past posts. Thankfully my van is kept elswhere in secure storage. I would be a bit hacked off if it wasn't tho'.

However, I have really enjoyed the sensitive, sensible and mature conversations on this forum over the last month or so. Long may it continue. Some of us went to some length to stop the nonsence that infected this Forum. If this new system stops the likes of "smelly pierre" - "Leut. Wallaby" and all their clones from troubling us again then I have no problem having my full name on what I post.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Certainly hope so John - In the meantime I suggest we all remove/change our home address details ASAP from our profiles in case the techies decide to release yet more information about us.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
After so many complaints about two or more people having the same nickname, the only alternative was to publish real names instead.

There's no way to properly enforce uniqueness for user names or nicknames. The problem is that the user database is shared across Practical Caravan, Practical Motorhome, Autosport, What Car and other websites managed by Haymarket publishing; it has half a million names is in it. Inevitably there will be duplication.

As there have been more complaints about changing to real names than there were about duplicate nicknames, we have now reverted to the way things were!

Obviously there was no way details like addresses would be published - Haymarket Publishing forums comply with the Data Protection Act.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Moderator it now seems that names are different on different topics,

I think that you need to contact the techies again or get some new ones !!!
For example on this topic my full name appears at the beginning but nickname appears when you log onto the thread.

On other topics the nickname is on the initial page and logging on gets the full name.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This forum certainly has more "running problems" than most so I would agree with Johns last point.

But I also like the simplicity of the design in that compared to some Forums this one is very easy to use. Shame that this simplicity is not linked with sophisticated design.

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
What is the problem with you guys ?? You receive junk mail by the ton, phone calls from companies trying to sell you the non-stick pan, and the dreaded Jehovahs on your doorstep so whats the problem with your name in a forum, do you think for one minute that you are annonymous?? Give us a break !

The world and his wife knows who and where you are and have any of you heard of cookies??

Wake up and smell the Typhoo for goodness sake stop whingeing and use the forum for what it is and if it doesn't conform to your exact secrecy go join the Masons.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The point I was trying to make was that there is inconsistency between different topics which there still is

The "tecchies" need to make their minds up on one format and stick to it.

Far from joining secret societies people will be leaving this website and with unhelpful replies and the aggro of late who can blame them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well said JohnG - your reply is far more restrained than mine would have been. He has missed the point entirely and gone off on one all of his own. Chocolate teapot springs to mind.

May 27, 2005
Visit site
What is the problem with you guys ?? You receive junk mail by the ton, phone calls from companies trying to sell you the non-stick pan, and the dreaded Jehovahs on your doorstep so whats the problem with your name in a forum, do you think for one minute that you are annonymous?? Give us a break !

The world and his wife knows who and where you are and have any of you heard of cookies??

Wake up and smell the Typhoo for goodness sake stop whingeing and use the forum for what it is and if it doesn't conform to your exact secrecy go join the Masons.
I fully agree. Anyone can be traced at anytime by anyone if they wish to, i am in a position to to run a check on any name which will list the all in GB complete with full address.

All the whiners must have something to hide i don't.

Derek

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts