Jun 17, 2020
Visit site
Can anyone suggest a solution to my fridge problem? I have a 2005 Sprite Firebrand 474 with a Thetford fridge that works on gas only. I have checked the breaker and the fridge fuse and all seem to be in order. The light on the fridge goes on when I open the door so, I am guessing power is getting through. Can anyone help?

Rotaruaben.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
The fridge light will be 12v so that unfortunately is not a clue to the lack of operation which is mains reliant. Not familiar with the model and fridge set-up, but if it has worked and now stopped is there an isolation switch (perhaps in an adjacent locker)? Is that fused? Also check that other mains works - try a lamp or suchlike in the sockets. The fridge will take a while to cool down, but should be noticeable cooler after a few hours.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's worth highlighting that the fridge can only work on gas or 230v mains electricity on site - the 12v option only works under tow with the car engine running.

This is unlike Aussie caravans which use compressor fridges from a 12v battery.

Jun 17, 2020
Visit site
The fridge light will be 12v so that unfortunately is not a clue to the lack of operation which is mains reliant. Not familiar with the model and fridge set-up, but if it has worked and now stopped is there an isolation switch (perhaps in an adjacent locker)? Is that fused? Also check that other mains works - try a lamp or suchlike in the sockets. The fridge will take a while to cool down, but should be noticeable cooler after a few hours.
Thank you for your response. I have checked the electrics relative to the fridge. Breaker fuse and RCD breaker in the main board. all seem to be fine. Since I posted my initial question, I put my hand on the vent at the side of van and noticed the top vent was warm whilst the lower one was giving off no heat at all. any suggestions as to what this might mean. could my coolant fluid need replaced perhaps?

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your response. I have checked the electrics relative to the fridge. Breaker fuse and RCD breaker in the main board. all seem to be fine. Since I posted my initial question, I put my hand on the vent at the side of van and noticed the top vent was warm whilst the lower one was giving off no heat at all. any suggestions as to what this might mean. could my coolant fluid need replaced perhaps?
Hi welcome to the forum it would appear that the fridge is working if the top vent seems warm have a look on youtube about caravan fridges they are different to domestic fridges

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The airflow is into the lower vent and out of the upper vent - so perfectly normal to feel no heat from the lower vent

Jun 17, 2020
Visit site
Okay, thanks for the information. It seems the power is getting to the fridge and there is an exchange of heat of sorts though the fridge is not cooling at all. I will let it run for a while to see if there is any change.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts