Widebody caravan not registered in the UK

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
American Newall Coach RV's are kept and used by numerous people in the UK but registered outside the county. They are over width and in every day use.

As a visitor you should have no problem apart from the narrow roads in places and plenty of commercial units use wide body caravans towed behind vans and trucks here.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, caravans over 2.3m may be towed in the UK by vehicles under 3500kg GVW if they are foreign registered. I have confirmation to this effect from the Department of Transport.

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, caravans over 2.3m may be towed in the UK by vehicles under 3500kg GVW if they are foreign registered. I have confirmation to this effect from the Department of Transport.
Lutz, is it possible to produce a copy of the confirmation?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Lutz, I am not in a hurry..

I would be grateful if you send me a copy (as attachment) when you are at home. My email address: mldklh[at]hccnet.nl
No problem. But it could take a while. I probably won't be back until just before Easter.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Having returned home in the meantime I have had another look at the information that the Department of Transport sent me some time back and, to be honest, their reply is a bit ambiguous. On the one hand, their letter says that the UK does not provide visiting vehicles an exemption from width requirements but it does not explicitly state that this applies to weight requirements, as well. One could argue that you would not be exceeding the width limit (2.55m) but only fail to meet the minimum weight requirement (3.5 tonnes) that goes with it. I would therefore recommend that you give them a phone call if they haven't replied to your email yet. I have the following phone number: 0044 (0)20 7944 2083

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Every country in Europe operates a reciprocal concession whereby vehicles which are legal in their country of registration are allowed to visit, for up to six months, another country without complying to vehicle regulations.

Driver and road regulations have to be complied with, even by visitors.

In the case of the UK, a stay longer than six months would require the vehicle to be registered here, at which point it has to comply with our regulations.

So we do have this anomaly, that we can only tow 2.5m trailers with a towcar exceeding 3500 MAW while visitors can tow such trailers with smaller vehicles.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
The concession applies to the vehicle - but it is not clear that it applies to a caravan, or to a specific combination of vehicle and trailer.

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
UK registered vehicles are subject to the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) regulations 1986, these regulations lay down the standards to be complied with. Foreign vehicles temporarily imported into this country are exempt from most of the regulations except those which apply to Length, width, height and weight requirements.

Consequently it would be illegal for a foreign vehicle of less than 3500kg gross weight to tow a caravan (trailer) which exceeds 2.3m width.

Using such a combination could attract a prohibition notice and the combination being directed out of the UK.

regards

Steve

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Every country in Europe operates a reciprocal concession whereby vehicles which are legal in their country of registration are allowed to visit, for up to six months, another country without complying to vehicle regulations.

Driver and road regulations have to be complied with, even by visitors.

In the case of the UK, a stay longer than six months would require the vehicle to be registered here, at which point it has to comply with our regulations.

So we do have this anomaly, that we can only tow 2.5m trailers with a towcar exceeding 3500 MAW while visitors can tow such trailers with smaller vehicles.
Hi Roger,

You are partly right, however certain parts of our legislation is also applicable to temporarily imported vehicles, included in this is the width requirement. Please see my post, I can be more specific if required.

regards

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts