Wigan v Catalans in Montpellier

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I have just realised that Wigan Warriors play the Catalans in Montpellier on June the 4th next year and so now intend to make this one of our stopping off points on our first trip abroad.
Any recommend a good site close to Montpellier ?

Also, anyone else planning to be there ?

Regards

PETERA

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Petera - what sort of sites do you like? Small, large, quiet or full facilities? Do you want inland, or beachside? We'll be down in that region at the same time - and have stayed on several sites around the area. We tend to like larger sites, with a pool, bar and restaurant, and use a combination of Camping Cheques and an ACSI card. If it's your first trip abroad, then you may think 'small sites, quiet............' but in May/June even the largest sites tend to be almost adult only ('mature' couples like us) and some can be very quiet indeed. We've been on one site where for several days we were one of only ten occupied pitches on a 250 pitch site! Idyllic - and all the facilities open too - we had the pool to ourselves a lot of the time!
I doubt we'll be watching the match - but it will be much like it is here aat match time, with cars trailing the relevant scarves or flags, and a lot of shouting from the campsite bar! Are you intending to go to the match at the stadium, or watch elsewhere?

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi Val A
Not looking for any type of site in particular. Someplace with goods amenities, washrooms etc, and pleasant people. As posted this will be our first trip abroad, not only that but probably our first trip in total as we only get the van sometime in April. Just took retirement and so now have the time to enjoy the pleasures of traveling in Europe. Any recommendations gladly recieved.

Yes we will go to the match. We spent a weekend in Perpignan a couple of years ago when the Wigan Rugby team were in town.
The Wigan supporters were a pleasure to be around. Not like the soccer fans and as I originate from the area it's nice to hear the accents again.

Regards

PETRA

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Petra
If you're not familiar with Camping Cheques and the ACSI card then it might be worth having a look at the websites. www.campingcheque.co.uk and www.campingcard.com - lots of people on these forums use either one, or both. There are lots of other sites and also worth having a look at is the Caravan Club Europe 1 book - which can be ordered by non-members, or Le Guide Officiel Caravanning Camping, which is in French, but contains almost every French campsite including the smallest. This can be ordered from Vicarious books.
Le Plein Aire de Chenes at Clapiers is a Camping Cheque site, nearest to Montpellier, as is Fleur de Camargue at Aigues Mortes. We haven't stayed at either. You might like Le Mas de Reilhe at Crespian, which is a little further away, but a lovely small site and comes highly recommended. All these sites take Camping Cheques during June.
There are several ACSI sites - but again none of them where we've stayed.
We've stayed at a couple of sites at Le Grau du Roi (Camping Jardins de Tivoli which has private bathrooms on the pitch), Camping Eden, and nearby at Boucanet, Camping Le Boucanet. We've also stayed on sites at Remoulins near the Pont du Gard, which is easy distance to Montpellier, and I'd also recommend Domaine de Massereau at Sommieres (which I think is a Touring Cheques - www.touringcheque.co.uk) site but only earlier in the season.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts