Will a 1.9di tow a swift challenger 550se

Sep 20, 2006
Visit site
We have a Vauxhall Vivaro Van 1.9 di with a kerb weight of 1677. We would like to purchase a swift challenger 550 se (kw 1465) but my husband is concerned that a 1.9 engine will struggle on hills with this size caravan. This is our first caravan - do you think we need a new tow vehicle?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Corinna

Vauxhall's website gives 2 power outputs for the Vivaro 1.9 cdti - 82ps and 100ps. I think the 82ps will struggle a bit and the 100ps engine will not be too rapid either with a van of this weight. Both models have a 2000kg towing limit ( if you ever wanted to take the risk) but hills would cause you to drop a couple of gears

You may also face a bit of discrimination from some sites who will not allow caravans being towed by commercial vehicles in case they are "travellers".

This is only my opinion and others with 1st hand knowledge of this vehicle may advise you otherwise.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
The 82 will be useless even without the van we have a mini bus at work with the same engine and it is absolutely pathetic, no guts what so ever. even the 100 i would think will struggle as my old 1.9 tdi ford galaxy had 115 bhp and had a bit of trouble on hills with 1600 kgs behind it, last year we bought a seat alhambra 1.9 tdi with 130 bhp which was far better but we have now even had that upgraded to 172 bhp and masses of torque. like Cliff has said you will allso get some discrimination on sites due to the van which are now unfortunately linked to the travelling comunity when towing caravans, more and more sites are banning vans each year although some do relax the rule in low season.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The 82 will be useless even without the van we have a mini bus at work with the same engine and it is absolutely pathetic, no guts what so ever. even the 100 i would think will struggle as my old 1.9 tdi ford galaxy had 115 bhp and had a bit of trouble on hills with 1600 kgs behind it, last year we bought a seat alhambra 1.9 tdi with 130 bhp which was far better but we have now even had that upgraded to 172 bhp and masses of torque. like Cliff has said you will allso get some discrimination on sites due to the van which are now unfortunately linked to the travelling comunity when towing caravans, more and more sites are banning vans each year although some do relax the rule in low season.
Hi Icemaker

Did you have your vehicle's ecu remapped or an add on box to upgrade to 172 bhp?

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
Is it a Di, or a Dti?

If its Di then it`ll be pants towing that amount of weight. We have a Di engined vectra (kerbweight 1465kg) towing a van with 1000kg max weight and hills need low gears and lots of revs!

Adding a tuning box to your engine will only bring it up to around 100bhp.

Have you checked the max allowable tow weight for the van? it may not be able to legally pull a van of that size anyway.

Lighter van or bigger engined car needed I`m afraid.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Cliff i bought a module from the dervdoctor www.thedervdoctor.co.uk its made by a company called dms and its known as a dual system, basically you plug it in to the cars diagnostics socket press afew buttons and it uploads a new map to the ecu, if you wish you can reverse the prosses and the car is back to standard just in case you need warranty work etc.

Its a great piece of kit if a little expensive at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Cliff i bought a module from the dervdoctor www.thedervdoctor.co.uk its made by a company called dms and its known as a dual system, basically you plug it in to the cars diagnostics socket press afew buttons and it uploads a new map to the ecu, if you wish you can reverse the prosses and the car is back to standard just in case you need warranty work etc.

Its a great piece of kit if a little expensive at

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts