will this pull may van Please

Aug 28, 2018
Visit site
I have a Swift Europa 550 2010 and am looking at purchasing a Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTI ELITE Hatchback 2014

is this a good match.

thanks in advance

shakey

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
shakeyblade said:
I have a Swift Europa 550 2010 and am looking at purchasing a Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTI ELITE Hatchback 2014

is this a good match.

thanks in advance

shakey

Whilstvthe engine has enough oomph you need to supply more information. Caravan MTPLM, car makers specified towing limit, cars kerbweight, your licence B-+E?, etc.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
More info needed to use the CAMC matching service, included car power (140,163) and no Europa listed amongst the Swifts...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
More info needed to use the CAMC matching service, included car power (140,163) and no Europa listed amongst the Swifts...

Try "Towcar.info" as you can insert your own caravans MTPLM. A slight caution as I’ve always found "Towcar.info" very good but I’ve generally done my other parametric “research” first and then used the matching site for its estimate. Which to be fair has been pretty darned good over three cars and three vans.

Aug 28, 2018
Visit site
help, i feel like giving up, im pulling my hair out, i dont know which way to turn.

I just want someone to say yes that car is suitable that caravan, i past my yest in 1980 so licence not an issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
shakeyblade said:
help, i feel like giving up, im pulling my hair out, i dont know which way to turn.

I just want someone to say yes that car is suitable that caravan, i past my yest in 1980 so licence not an issue.

You need to provide some answers to the questions as it’s not possible to give you advice without knowing some weights and specifications. If you cannot do that then I think you should try a motorhome or camper instead.

Aug 28, 2018
Visit site
as i dont yet own the car or have access to it at this time, how do i find the weights,

sorry if i sound a dumb, but this is really stressing me out.

Ideally, i already own the van a 2010 Swift Europa 550, the van is currently sited. i would like to tow it next year so need a car to pull it.
im told the the insignia is a good tow car, but know one seems able give me a yes it will or no it wont.

if i supply the Reg No would that help?

Dec 4, 2018
Visit site
shakeyblade said:
as i dont yet own the car or have access to it at this time, how do i find the weights,

Ideally, i already own the van a 2010 Swift Europa 550, the van is currently sited. i would like to tow it next year so need a car to pull it.
im told the the insignia is a good tow car, but know one seems able give me a yes it will or no it wont.

I have the 163bhp diesel Insigni manual 6 speed. I tow a Coachman Pastiche 575 at an actual weight of 1550kg, with almost ease.

There are websites for outfit matching.

https://towcar.info/GB/

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Simple_Life said:
shakeyblade said:

I have the 163bhp diesel Insigni manual 6 speed. I tow a Coachman Pastiche 575 at an actual weight of 1550kg, with almost ease.

There are websites for outfit matching.

]https://towcar.info/GB/
https://towcar.info/GB/[/quote
It is not so much the pulling as most modern diesels have a good towing capability and 140bhp would be in the right ball park. It is the ability of the car to control the outfit and to be stable. As well as the car-caravan combination, stability requires attention to driving as well as sensible loading of the caravan and car. You can be within the caravans weight limit, but still find it twitchy, or even unstable if it is loaded incorrectly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello shakeyblade,

First of all don't panic because it wont help in any way.

Unfortunately we are not mind readers, nor do we have a vast database of information about all models and variants so when asking questions like yours we need a swathe of information about both the car and the caravan, before we can offer knowledgeable opinions.

The information needs to be precise becasue some manufacturers make so many variations of car or caravan, that especially the weights and their limits can be very different model from model, yet alone for different years, and of course engines.

So just be methodical and gather the information.

Make Model, trim level (e.g. GLS or SRI etc), body style, Fuel, Engine size and power and Torque. year of manufacture.

Pay particular attention to the Weight limits of the car and caravan Gross Vehicle Weight and Gross Train Weight.

As others have said, good towing is not just about weight limits, it probably more to do with how the outfit is loaded, and how its driven, becasue having a caravan on the back of a car changes a whole range of dynamic effects.

Yes you do have comply with the law and there will be some outfits which are simply illegal, but there is also guidance on matching which is has no legal authority but it dies in general make good sense.

Get the fact about the car and caravan and we can take it from there.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
According to the Caravan Talk figures the Mass in running order (unloaded) is 1283 kg and the MTPLM (the maximum permitted weight) is1485 kg.
Before going further you need to know the maximum towing limit for that model, I think it will be OK but check, and the kerb weight of the car. You can allow 75kg for the driver if it is not included.
Basically you need a tow car that is heavier than the caravan MTPLM and the bigger the difference is the better. My guess is that the car will be a bit over 1500kg and if you are new to towing this would be far too low. The two clubs and the NCC have a towing guide, and this suggests that the caravan should be no more than 85% of the cars kerb weight for newcomers to towing caravans. This is not a legal requirement and is now possibly a bit outdated, but I would not tow with more than 90% as a beginner. The kerb weight will vary even for the same engine according to the full specification.
I think you need to go back to whoever is selling the car and ask for the weight information, as without this it is impossible to advise further.
Personally I think 140 bhp is a bit low for the caravan weight but it should manage rather than be fully on top of the job. This is only a matter of opinion though.
I have towed with several Vauxhalls but not the one youi mention and they were all decent tow cars,

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi Shakeyblade
I can only endorse the Prof and Ray above. Don't panic and just gather the data. The car's weights and legal towing limit will be on the V5 document which the seller should be happy to check, especially if he/she knows that you intend to tow a caravan with it. I understand that you have the caravan already in which case it's simply a case of checking the weights shown on its chassis plate.

Assuming that Ray's figures for the caravan weights are correct, my initial opinion is that the weight and power of the Vauxhall is less than ideal and whilst it may be physically and legally capable of moving the caravan, particularly if you only intend to tow it occasionally and for short distances, that's not the same as being able to comfortably tow it for long distances across the UK or Europe.

Given that you don't actually have the car yet, I'd personally be tempted to look at something a bit heavier and more powerful. The obvious answer is one of the many medium-sized SUVs; I don't have any weights to hand but look at the VW Tiguan or Skoda Kodiaq, Land Rover Freelander or Discovery Sport, Kia Sorrento, Hyundai Santa Fe etc. You could also consider a large saloon or estate car such as BMW 5-series, Merc E class, Volvo V70 or V90, or a large MPV such as VW Sharan or Ford Galaxy.

Diesel will be better suited to towing that weight than petrol or hybrid.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
SamandRose said:
Hi Shakeyblade
I can only endorse the Prof and Ray above. Don't panic and just gather the data. The car's weights and legal towing limit will be on the V5 document which the seller should be happy to check, especially if he/she knows that you intend to tow a caravan with it. I understand that you have the caravan already in which case it's simply a case of checking the weights shown on its chassis plate.

Assuming that Ray's figures for the caravan weights are correct, my initial opinion is that the weight and power of the Vauxhall is less than ideal and whilst it may be physically and legally capable of moving the caravan, particularly if you only intend to tow it occasionally and for short distances, that's not the same as being able to comfortably tow it for long distances across the UK or Europe.

Given that you don't actually have the car yet, I'd personally be tempted to look at something a bit heavier and more powerful. The obvious answer is one of the many medium-sized SUVs; I don't have any weights to hand but look at the VW Tiguan or Skoda Kodiaq, Land Rover Freelander or Discovery Sport, Kia Sorrento, Hyundai Santa Fe etc. You could also consider a large saloon or estate car such as BMW 5-series, Merc E class, Volvo V70 or V90, or a large MPV such as VW Sharan or Ford Galaxy.

I have just run a check using Towcar.info with the nearest caravan to your which is a Charisma 555 2010 model. The tow car was my Skoda Superb estate which isn't exactly a heavyweight and all parameters came out "green" with the ratio of kerb weight to MTPL being 83% with 150kg load in the car. As I normally carry around 200-250kg ( passengers, dogs and equipment) the figure improves to 79%. So basically you don't need a 4.4 SUV etc if you don't want. There are plenty of cars/estates out there that will do the job. Mondeos, Passats, Skoda's, MPVs etc Just try looking at the site. I would not be surprised if there is not an Insignia that will do the job.

As per my above post, other aspects need to be addressed for safe towing viz driving, loading etc.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
SamandRose said:
Hi Shakeyblade

....or a kuga !! :p

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Shakeyblade
I take it your motor is an Insignia A face lift. As, has been said your model weights with your towing limit are on the. V5.
Your Kerb weight will vary from 1613kg to 1790kg depending on model spec.
Yours is an Elite so will be somewhere near the top end.
Toque is 269Ft lbs
Your van as approx max weight of 1495. as far as I can find.
A towing limit on my 163 is 1600kg so figures stack up. should tow pretty easy.
But please check the V5 for towing limit.

Aug 28, 2018
Visit site
THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE PROFESSOR JOHN,
Not really panicking, obviously i need to be sure the car i buy is suitable to tow my caravan or i have defeated object of buying a new (to me) car.
After the new year i will be looking again, it looks like the Insignia, estates seem to be better weight wise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts