Willingcott, Chivenor or Riverside in N.Devon?

May 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Driving myself batty over these 3 sites! I just don't know which to go for.

Willingcott CC site is within walking distance of Ifracombe and the sea. Its a CC site, so that always means something (well, it has up until know anyhow). Worry I have though is that its too close to the on-shore winds. I know Damage Barton is much too close (thats why I ruled it out) but I'm wondering how much difference being a mile or so inland would make.

Riverside Caravan site near South Molton is easier to get to, closer to M5, more inland, but near a busy road by all accounts. Though it's not near the sea, it has a river that the children can play in running straight through it.

We plan to take our bikes and ride on the Tarka Trail. Both sites will mean we can only go to the Tarka Trail by Car.

That takes me to our next choice.

Chivenor is really close to the Tarka Trail which means I aint driving for a week, but again, its close to the same busy road.

Its the one I would pick if it wasn't for the uncertainty of the road. If I could find any up-to-date reviews about it I would probably have made up my mind already!

Please help save my sanity.

Has anyone been to these sites? Any recommendations? Anyone live local to them? Anyone tell me if the A361 is REALLY a busy road?

Anuyone driven past and said to themselves "I'm glad we're not in there"?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks in advance

BobD

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we went to willingcot last year , the sites nice but the shops not open very much and it doesn't stock very much either , but the biggest problem is the noise from the club on the static site next door, cos of the smoking ban they open all the doors so that folk outside smoking can hear the music(so the wardens said), you could hear it in the van with the windows closed and the tv on right up until midnight . not good for the kids

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We have stayed at Willingcott but it can be a bit bleak and windy although it is in a handy position. We have had a look around Riverside - handy for the M5 but not really anything else and you will probably have quite a bit of traffic going to and from the coast on the A361. Have you considered Stowford Farm (www.stowford.co.uk). In a good position and not too close to the coast. We have not stayed there ourselves but know many who have and they have not been disappointed.

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
HI! Bob.

I am a new caravaner but I live in N Devon close to the sites you are on about, Riverside is a new one to the area and is only a stones through away from the busy A361 never been to willingcot but have stayed at Stowford, Lovely clean site play area for the children swimming pool,shop pub/resteront fish &chips, close to many beaches nearer to Ilfracome than Barnstaple

by a few miles not many.I am off to a site this weekendNear crediton N Devon. will report on it next week.I had my first trip to sandy balls in the new forrest top site

Regards#

Mick

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi! Bob,

mick again Chivoner campsite is right next to the busy A361 on a small roundabout Next to the royal marines base. there is also a site 2 mile befor you get to chivoner called Midland caravan park. but again it is along side the A361 of a dule carrage way.

Mick

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I think Mo must be getting confused. We have stayed at Willingcott this year and last year and cannot remember a static site next door to the site. We certainly werent bothered by any noise from a club anyway.

Its about a 4 mile walk into Ilfracombe along the Tarka Trail from the site. We much prefer to use the beach at Woolacombe though.

The site does seem to catch the wind though. We had to spend the whole of whit bank holiday monday holding down the awning this year.

Nice site though, up to usual cc club standards.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think Mo must be getting confused. We have stayed at Willingcott this year and last year and cannot remember a static site next door to the site. We certainly werent bothered by any noise from a club anyway.

Its about a 4 mile walk into Ilfracombe along the Tarka Trail from the site. We much prefer to use the beach at Woolacombe though.

The site does seem to catch the wind though. We had to spend the whole of whit bank holiday monday holding down the awning this year.

Nice site though, up to usual cc club standards.
I don,t drive 500 miles to get confused about which site I'm on , if it wasn't statics it was holiday chalets , and this was last year in july

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts