Wind tunnel air vents.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
We have just got our first caravan,a 1994 ABI marauder gold. However when we went away over easter we found it to be like a WIND TUNNEL around the fride and hod. I ve found that behind the fride there is 3 vents, 1 small one which has a pipe to the fride and 2 which are about 12 inch by 5 inch which are letting the wind in. Can any one tell me if they have to be left like this or can they be covered over and how to cover them.

Any ideas welcome, thanks

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Steve,

The size/area of the vents are recommended by the fridge manufacture. Check with the fridge maker to see if the area can be reduced. Alternatively if you are finding air entering the living space around the fridge, then there should be nothing stopping you from sealing the front of the fridge to the cabinetwork provide it does not interfere with the air flow to the cooling radiator on the back of the fridge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve the small one with the pipe is the flu (flew?) for the fridge when running it on gas. Don't block this one whatever you do!! Andy Palmer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

I have a 2004 Lunar Lexon which had the same problem, when the wind was on the fridge vent side of the caravan it blew an icy blast through the cutlery draw which is at the side of the fridge.

The rear of the fridge is supposed to be isolated from the caravan interior by a cowling, and vents to the outside only.The electric wires to the controls on mine passed through the front of this cowling and then to the fridge controls,the sheet metal had two holes in it for these wires to pass through.These were however much too big about an 1.5 inches square. I packed insulation into the gap and also fitted winter covers for when the ambient temerature is below +10 c.I was able to do the job by removing the cutlery draw and reaching in. I have had no further problems.

Regards Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

This is a problem that we've had with both of the 'vans that we've owned.

The first one, a Bailey, used to howl in, as you say, through every opening available. The fridge installation manual that came with it stated that the fridge should be completely sealed off from the interior of the 'van to ensure proper airflow and efficient cooling. So I took it out and boxed in all interior gaps, just leaving the recommended vents. Much better.

Our Sterling was the same, although not as bad. So again I've sealed the gaps, but fortunately this time I could do it all by reaching in from the external vents.

It seems that the builders of the 'vans seem to ignore the component manufacturers instructions. A bit like the smoke detectors which are usually fitted on the side of a cupboard near the roof, or next to the door. Both of which are contrary to the fitment instructions, so could be potentially life threatening.

Interestingly enough, the instructions for our current Electrolux fridge says that fitment should be avoided on the awning side as this upsets the thermal dymanics of the unit. Also it shouldn't be positioned where the open door will cover it, which is the case in many 'vans.

It's a shame that the build standards don't seem to be checked. I had to spend some time on our new 'van changing screws for longer or wider ones as the originals were pulling out, or not fitted at all. The washroom door fell off at one point as the screws were so short that they were only being held on by a couple of threads each. So they soon worked loose and fell out.

I wonder if there's such a job as an independant caravan quality checker. I'd love to do it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts