Window Blind Etiquette

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Blinds yeah, well it is best to keep them down all the time to stop snoopers but cut a hole in the front one so you can spy on everyone else. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Silly, yes of course it is BUT once while staying on Gannavan sands at Oban there was such a van parked right on the sea front, no one went in or out for days but takeaways were often delivered,
thinking that there was something odd reported it to the site owner he just said oh I know the ""odd couple"" don't worry it is the Customs and Excise van watching for smugglers. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
We have our blinds open most of the time as I feel it invites people to give you a wave or even pop in to ask for help or try to resolve a problem they may have.

Caravaners are supposed to be friendly, outgoing folk who are happy to pass the time of day with like minded souls. Equally, they should feel comfortable knocking on a door if they have a problem.

Admittedly, I am usually one of the first to go over to somebody if it appears they are having a spot of bother and I am always the first to stop and say hello. That is one of the things I love about caravanning. Taking the dog for a walk usually takes a lot longer on holiday than it does at home!

I would also say that I am the first to respect people's privacy and I would not knock or intrude if the 'welcome signs' we're not clearly visible!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Southy, yourself , The Woosies, and eventually Craig, and a lot of the other folks I have met on this forum are the type of people we have always wanted to meet, but unfortunatley its does not happen on site. If the PC forum was able to have a member contact area, that would be nice. , so that you agree to meet up on route maybe.
Just a thought. If our Awning light is on Knock on the door, but if the Marmite flag is Flying. :p :p :sick:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Exactly hutch , i aint shy to say hello or give a nod to a stranger or give assistance , ive even reversed someones car and caraven into their pitch cos he couldnt manage it . Talk to anyone me , but still tell the kids not t talk t strangers !! :oops: :p :whistle:

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps the forum should have a posting page where we all post where we are and when. As our addresses and personal details are not listed, it would be safe to do so.
As for talking to strangers, a definite no for the kids but at 54, if somebody wants to run off with me, bring it on!!! The wife would probably help her!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Southy1 said:

Caravaners are supposed to be friendly, outgoing folk who are happy to pass the time of day with like minded souls. Equally, they should feel comfortable knocking on a door if they have a problem. ...

Hello Southy,

Who says? :dry: I think your spectacles may have rose tinted lenses :huh:

Over the years we have caravanned we have found people from all walks of life, and made many friends and we have been happy enough to spend some time with them sharing stories etc. :)

But on one site in South Wales, we arrived on site and as we were positioning the caravan the fellow from the adjacent pitch came and began to tells us what to do, and basically pestered us whilst we were setting up and for the rest of the evening. Thank heavens he and his long suffering wife moved on the next morning. :(

We have also observed some caravanners on sites who usually have a big caravan, massive awning, wind breaks all the way round, Beer in hand from about 10am, shouting at their kids to play foot ball away from their caravan ( but nearer everyone elses) and Big BBQ every night, frankly I don't want to be involved with that sort of person. :eek:hmy:

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you go to the wrong sites!
Comfortable knocking on the door if THEY have a problem. I never said I would interfere!
Being pleasant and helpful is not having barbecues and a beer at 10.00am.
I agree, my spectacles may have a rose coloured tint but I think yours may have a rather darker shade!
We have all met the pest, the know to all, the thug, but we just avoid them or even better, don't go to their kind of sites.

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Southy1 said:

Caravaners are supposed to be friendly, outgoing folk who are happy to pass the time of day with like minded souls. Equally, they should feel comfortable knocking on a door if they have a problem. ...

Hello Southy,

Who says? :dry: I think your spectacles may have rose tinted lenses :huh:

Over the years we have caravanned we have found people from all walks of life, and made many friends and we have been happy enough to spend some time with them sharing stories etc. :)

But on one site in South Wales, we arrived on site and as we were positioning the caravan the fellow from the adjacent pitch came and began to tells us what to do, and basically pestered us whilst we were setting up and for the rest of the evening. Thank heavens he and his long suffering wife moved on the next morning. :(

We have also observed some caravanners on sites who usually have a big caravan, massive awning, wind breaks all the way round, Beer in hand from about 10am, shouting at their kids to play foot ball away from their caravan ( but nearer everyone elses) and Big BBQ every night, frankly I don't want to be involved with that sort of person. :eek:hmy:
having read your statement about people we meet on our travels I think you have missed the worse type out!!!
They pitch up next to you in their Big new van and car you say Hello politely :) and they total ignore you :( go in side pull all their blinds down on your side :unsure: and with in 10 mins are out chasing all the kids who have been playing kick about in the same place for the last few day and then go and complain to the owners about it
Then the next day again complain about the noisy neighbour at night luckily for them(we) they were having a meal with the owners They were ask to leave site the next day and good riddance to them . we call them the snobby spoiler and all they want to do spoil everyone hoilday ;)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
No good just closing the blinds as some friends of ours found out to their cost. On a hot day, with the caravan rocking in a peculier motion, they had left the Heki open, and with the light just right, it became a mirror.

Now the etiquette is, do you tell them now or after??

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Thingy said:
No good just closing the blinds as some friends of ours found out to their cost. On a hot day, with the caravan rocking in a peculier motion, they had left the Heki open, and with the light just right, it became a mirror.

Now the etiquette is, do you tell them now or after??

priceless....... :woohoo:

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
n one holiday, we pitched up to a chap with a new, very expensive looking van. He was very friendly, until our soft edged (especially for camp sites) Frisbee, flew far further than intended, and hit his awning - not his van. We were playing on an empty part of the site and the wind just took it. He got in a right state and loudly asked us not to throw it at his van - we didn't, and to play further away - we already were!!
Come up-pance came a couple of days later when he left and his kids and grandkids used the van - crinkled blinds - which he'd kept up, chocolatey handprints on the windows, and toddlers running up and down in the van constantly, not to mention the amount of times they hit the van with a ball... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Obviously members are divided in whether to have blinds up or down after dark, and again quite obviously it is only right that they do as they do as they wish. Personally, I am very keen on the blinds open option for two reasons. The first is that I absolutely hate the claustrophobic effect of having them shut and secondly, and much more important to me, is the external effect that having them open has on the site, particularly if like minded individuals have theirs open too. I am often quite disappointed, after a day looking at parked, good looking, caravans with the coming of darkness, seeing them transformed a row of gloomy garden-shed-looking shapes. A site with even only a few illuminated caravans is a site transformed.

On the subject of communication with others on sites, in a long long caravanning life I have many times noticed that when leaving a site, after (say) a few days stay, neighbours who have steadfastly refused even eye contact during our stay, then wave to us frantically ??????

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts