Windscreen concentrate winter mix.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I used to buy a 5 litre container of windscreen washer cleaner/anti freeze that made up 25 litres of washer mix that would withstand sub zero temperartures
Today I needed to buy concrate screen wash. Found a 5 litre cncentrate in Halfords and found it has to be used neat in current low winter temperatures. Is it me or am I right that if you can't add water it isn't really a winter concentrate! It also seems that poor old motorists are ripped again as todays concentrate is not as strong as it used to be
smiley-frown.gif
Or does somebody know of a reasonably priced decent strength windscreen wash/antifreeze mix and who supplies it.
And No. Not meths as her indoors hates the smell.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
After reading your post and thinking about the recent problem I've had with my windscreen washer motor I went in my garage and looked at my screen wash.
The liquid which is still concentrated had frozen in the bottle, on the label it said is was good down to minus 5 degrees, so there is little chance if we mix it with water for the car. I checked my radiator water that was still liquid.
I mix my water with meths and yes that had frozen too, I have an old bottle of anti-freeze, I wonder if we could mix a little of that in the screen wash?

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You could, if you don't mind paying for a respray, antifreeze will damage paintwork in in prolonged contact, this means minutes not hours. All antifreeze spills should be wiped off immediately and the washed with plain water.

Steve W

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Not a good idea then!
You would think car manufacturers would come up with a thermostatically controlled low wattage heater for windscreen wash containers. How do they manage in cold countries??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts