winter caravaning in the alps

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

We are thinking about taking the caravan to Landry in the French Alps for christmas and new year.

The thing is i've never done any winter caravaning before and don't know what to expect.

Do i need to do anything to the caravan to prepare it for use at very cold temps?

Whats the best way to stop water freezing in the water butts?etc,etc,etc.

Also i've heard i need snow chains for my car,is this true?

I know you lot can give me all the info i need so thanks in advance.

Keith

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Snow chains are only required on certain mountain passes, but winter tyres (not necessarily M&S) are a must. Snow chains are therefore perhaps a good idea, but we've never needed them where we've been. A low wattage (75w) immersion heater in the water tank is useful when it gets really cold. We also have a special winter porch awning with a much steeper roof to let the snow slide off so that it doesn't cave in if there is a really heavy snowfall overnight. If you don't have such an awning you may need additional or stronger poles. Otherwise, we don't prepare ourselves any more than for a summer holiday.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Keith,

It is a legal requirement to use snow chains when required by the French Police. Normally however it's not required to use them unless there has been heavy snow falls and the police deem that snow chains must be used to access certain roads - usually up to the ski resorts.

I have had an extra water connection installed underneath the sink in the toilet so that I can connect my aquaroll inside to prevent freezing. The normal outside connection is blanked off while the inside one is in use and vise versa. I also put some anti-freeze in the toilet and flush. I would also recommend that you invest in a small electric oil filled radiator to use in addition to your fanmaster. I generally leave this switched on 24hrs a day. Enjoy your holiday. Mac

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Keith.

This website shows a comprehensive collection of French road-signs.

http://www.americansinfrance.net/driving/SelectedRoadSigns.cfm
If you take a look at those included under .

Regulatory ( What you have to do )

you will see a representation of a wheel equipped with snow-chains. It is my understanding that, if there is snow on the ground, you may not drive past this sign unless your vehicle is equipped with snow-chains. If you do, you risk a very heavy penalty fine.

These signs are not always on the roads leading to ski centres.

Hope this helps,

Olly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts