Winter Covers for fridge vents

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
I have heard people talking about these. What are they for, we have had our van for 5 yrs and not got any. Please could someone tell me what they are for and whether you really need them. Thanks Denise.

G

They basically restrict the air flow at the rear of the fridge. As the air flow is to provide cooling, naturally in very cold weather this is not so important and the covers will allow the fridge to operate more 'easily' in cold weather. The term 'cold weather' is when it is very cold, not your average summer day in the UK. If you do a lot of winter cammping then consider them, if not they are not really an advantage.

However, check the type of fridge you have so you get the correct ones and do not block the exhaust if you use gas.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Vent covers, or as they are commonly called winter covers, serve several purposes.

Their first and foremost job is when the temperature drops below 8 degrees they should be fitted to reduce the amount of cold air getting to the cooling unit and reducing the efficiency of the fridge.

Secondly when the van is in storage they reduce the chances of foreign objects such as insects, wind blown rain etc entering the area behind the fridge, also when travelling in rain they reduce the possibility of spray being forced into the back of the fridge/

Lastly when washing the van they reduce th echances of water being forced into behind the fridge, such as when using a hose or pressure washer.

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
When I winterize my van I simply stick grey/silver duct tape across the vents on the outside, its not unsightly and helps keep out the weather and unwanted insects.

After the winter it peels off with no mess straight in the bin.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
....I have also found that the refrigerator is more efficient when being operated on 12 volts if vent covers are fitted whilst towing.

I now fit them whilst towing summer or winter regardless of the ambient temperature.

I think the reason for this is it limits the amount of air being drawn through the vents when the caravan is at speed thus preventing overcooling of the absorption unit.

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Two winters back I stored my caravan on a field without winter shields, within 3 months the inside of my caravan was so damp that it had to be returned back to the dealer for internal repairs to the wood work. This winter shields fitted and no problems to report. The manufacture states in their hand book that these shields are an optional extra when in fact they are a necessity.

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I find that the fridge works more efficiently with them on in the Winter and I have always been lucky and had them supplied with the van when purchased which I don't think is so common now.

My caravan manual says they should be used up to 8 degrees C.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts