Winter Lay Up

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Now that winter is upon us ( minus 2 here tast night) and the van is lying unused until New Year (in the driveway) we don't heat the van during this time but leave it ventilated,the theory being if we heat it, it will condensate on the inside when cooling down.
What do others do during a winter layup.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Condensation only occurs when warm, moist air gets into contact with COLDER surfaces - if the caravan is unused the interior walls are no colder than the ambient air so condensation doesn't occur. Water ingress, ie leaks, do of course need to be dealt with.
For 3 decades the only winterisation I've ever done is to thoroughly drain down the water system to prevent freezing damage, including removing any filter elements.

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Tipping the caravan nose up or nose down to increase the water run-off rate from the roof can be helpful especially if we get snow.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The main problem is water freezing in the syatem so thorough draining is needed. Always drain the system before leaving last site and blow down tape to remove any water lodged in them. The on board pump can also be run on ours to help but check if yours can if you want to do this. Leave all taps open and drain tap and then tow back home. The ups downs and bends should clear any remaining water from the system (famous last words).

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As well as draining the water and loo systems we always open every locker and door and lift the seat cushions/move the backs too, so that air can circulate as freely as possible.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....and take note that a Lead/Acid battery is only frost proof if it is charged.
A flat battery can freeze, the liquid (mostly water) will expand and may crack the battery casing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We put two in the van, and change them over once during winter store. They take out moisture but given the total moistture content of the air flowing in and out of the van if I am honest I put them down for a quiet life, as its not me that buys them, if you get my drift!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Given the level of ventilation in the caravan any moisture you remove will be replaced very quickly so I cannot see any point.

GRAHAM E said:
Does anyone use moisture traps like the ones i see in static vans ? Ive been told that salt is just as good and cheaper.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Many filter elements need discarding 30 days after initial use, even if they haven't been used for the full 30 days - basically they get contaminated by bacteria after that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts