Winter usage?

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi we are new to caravanning and are hoping to go away during the winter as well as the summer. Is the standard heating in caravans these days adequate for a cold winter night or would we need some extra heating at all.

Sorry for what might be a daft question :c)

regards

Kate

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Depends how old the van is, generally most recent vans (last 10 years) are fitted with the Truma space heater which will run off both gas and mains electricity. The mains will deliver up to 2kW and the gas will shove out over 3kW. The older Carver Fanmaster sytem (push button control) only allowed the use of gas or electricity individually - it could overheat if you tried to use both. The later Truma Ultraheat system (rotary knob) allows you to use both at the same time so theoretically you could have over 5kw. We've had vans with both systems and in my opinion the fanmaster system seemed to be warmer but we've had no problems with the Truma system

We've used both systems when the water in the aquaroll and inlet pipes have frozen (so we've had to have a water conainer in the van) and we've never been cold and we only use the electric. The bathroom gets very warm and cozy.

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Depends how old the van is, generally most recent vans (last 10 years) are fitted with the Truma space heater which will run off both gas and mains electricity. The mains will deliver up to 2kW and the gas will shove out over 3kW. The older Carver Fanmaster sytem (push button control) only allowed the use of gas or electricity individually - it could overheat if you tried to use both. The later Truma Ultraheat system (rotary knob) allows you to use both at the same time so theoretically you could have over 5kw. We've had vans with both systems and in my opinion the fanmaster system seemed to be warmer but we've had no problems with the Truma system

We've used both systems when the water in the aquaroll and inlet pipes have frozen (so we've had to have a water conainer in the van) and we've never been cold and we only use the electric. The bathroom gets very warm and cozy.
Hi Dave,

many thanks for your info . very helpful too. I'm sure my hubbie will be at ease now as he was the one that wants to be snuggledy at new year wherever we end up.

:c)

Cheers for you advice.

kate

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Kate

We have an older van with the Fanmaster and once warmed up have been comfortable but what we do is to take one of the small halogen heaters,about a fiver these days,with us just in case but there again we only use electric pitches

Gill

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
We use the caravan in quite cold weather, as said above, take an extra heater just in-case.

We've got two 450W electric heaters, the kind of thing you use to keep frost out of greenhouses, they suppliment the gas well if left on all the time.

I think the trick to keeping caravans warm is a little heat on all the time as they quickly loose heat.

If you're thinking of going without hook-up, I'd go for a hook-up pitch at first and see if you can manage without it.

Take an extra duvet too, its suppising how cold it can get before you wake up if you're well wrapped up.

In the mornings you soon warm up once the heater is on and the kettle has boiled your first brew!

Gareth

Gareth

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Kate

We use our van every winter in Braemar which can be as low as minus 20 overnight and keep quite cosy. We use the Truma heater on 1000w overnight and boost it up through the day and always use the electric option as we've paid for electric. It can take a wee while to warm up but you can use the gas for a quick blast. We've always used duvets as I hate being confined in a sleeping bag. We never use the piped water system in winter and fill a 5litre container intead. No-one else has said but we use propane as butane will freeze in cold temperatures.

Hope this helps.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Kate

We use our van every winter in Braemar which can be as low as minus 20 overnight and keep quite cosy. We use the Truma heater on 1000w overnight and boost it up through the day and always use the electric option as we've paid for electric. It can take a wee while to warm up but you can use the gas for a quick blast. We've always used duvets as I hate being confined in a sleeping bag. We never use the piped water system in winter and fill a 5litre container intead. No-one else has said but we use propane as butane will freeze in cold temperatures.

Hope this helps.
Sorry I forgot to add that we fitted a curtain over the door which helps to keep heat in. The rail and tape cost

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Fanmasters do not over heat. They have thermostat controls that limit the the electrical power to the elements to prevent over heating. If they stop working, it is usually due to a build up of dust in the fan, blocked ducts, or the fan motor wearing out.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

On this same subject, can I ask how people stop the water in their aquroll and submersible pump from freezing ?

Thanks,

Alex.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts