Winter washing

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Came back from Ferry Meadows Caravan site late Sunday and before taking the caravan back into storage for a couple of weeks, yesterday thought I would wash it as it was filthy.
Big mistake as the water from the hose froze as soon as it hit the caravan. In future it looks as if winter washes will have to be with one of the waterless products now on the market

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mine gets a late Autumn wash and treatment with Fenwicks Overwintering fluid and apart from the windows doesn't get another wash until spring. Two really thorough washes a year are all its had plus the occasional bucket just to clean the front of flies or road muck. Never polished a van in my life and I must say the present one at nearly 8 years old still comes up shiny when it is washed.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Other Clive, thanks for the response but after a 300 mile round trip to Warwickshire in December with no cleaning and then a 250 mile round trip this month the van was in a discusting state and the wife insisted in it being washed. I did suggest that she did it herself but as I like to eat and also watch the football without interuption I gave in.
We use the van at least once a month and in this weather the muck off the road soon gets the whole van dirty, not just the front.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean Mike, winds me up no end when I have a nice clean van when I leave home then arrive on site and it looks like it had not been washed in months.
A few years back I bought a dirtworker, a 12 volt mini pressure washer designed for cleaning mountain bikes. It holds around 3 gallons of water more than enough to wash your van, I keep it permanatly in the van with a large bucket and extendable brush.
So you could fill it with water when the weather warms up a little, *** over to your storage site, plug the dirtworker in to your car and off you go, or you could also put a little warm water in the tank to stop it freezing.
Must be one of the best accessories I have bought for the van, and is always the topic of conversation with fellow caravaners when I use it on site.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/bike-cleaning/product/review-dirtworker-portable-jet-washer-10403

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Not keen on polishing myself, but two coats of silcon polish on newly aquired caravans helps stop dirt sticking.
Long handled brush and hot water in cold weather. I have the advantage of only needing small kitchen steps to reach the roof.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When it does get washed I either use Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler after the cleaner, but for a couple of years now Ive used Demon Shine which brings it up a treat and during summer the water (rain) globulises really well. Winter use it just sits with its Overwintering which seems to hold the dirt quite well but does protect the paintwork. Admittedly it does look a bit of a tip at times but no one has asked me not to pitch up next to them yet. See what happens for the next outing in 3 weeks time eh!

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody used Rhino Goo, that apparently you spray on and just rinse off with a hose, I would be interested to hear comments on this product., are the results as good as what they claim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts