Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
I keep reading about the need for winter fridge vent covers, What i cant seen to find out is why they are necessary, what they do and do they only go on if you are not using your caravan in the winter. Can anybody shed some light on the subject for me please

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

My understanding is that they are only for covering the fridge vent in the winter, whilst not using the van.

I think that they only keep damp, cold, wee beasties etc out over winter.

Not having used one before, I'm not 100% sure, but I can't see that you can use one whilst still using the van / fridge. Otherwise where would the heat from the fridge go ?

Sorry if this isn't 100% correct,

Alex.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
There's a thread on the "other" forum. Apparently they are recomended when operating the fridge below 10 deg air temp. I think to prevent overcooling.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Winter covers can certainly be used as Alex suggests to keep the bugs and rain out, but their primary use is when the temperature drops below 5C.

Below 5C (or thereabouts) the fridge tends to over-cool, and the winter covers restrict the airflow and reduce the amount of cooling. So with the winter covers fitted there should be some airflow, but nothing like as much as normal. Stops the fridge turning milk into a ice-lolly...

Robert

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Winter covers can certainly be used as Alex suggests to keep the bugs and rain out, but their primary use is when the temperature drops below 5C.

Below 5C (or thereabouts) the fridge tends to over-cool, and the winter covers restrict the airflow and reduce the amount of cooling. So with the winter covers fitted there should be some airflow, but nothing like as much as normal. Stops the fridge turning milk into a ice-lolly...

Robert
I read the other post regarding the use of these covers following a very chilly weekend in Grantown on Spey when I wasn't using them and the fridge did tend to freeze things it wasn't meant to. Following weekend, and armed with the advise of when to use them, I fitted them during a mild but extremely windy weekend in Alford (Aberdeenshire) and noted the fridge did not work as efficiently as usual! It appears to me that you have to use depending on the prevailing conditions and be aware of the need to check the efficiency of the cooling of the fridge. The van was warmer with the covers fitted due to the decrease in draughts.

Graeme

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts