winterhoff stabiliser

May 5, 2007
Visit site
i am having trouble with my winterhoff stabiliser,when i am moving with the caravan hitch,it makes a groaning and creaking noise.my wife and kids will not travel with the caravan

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

The friction pads in your Winterhoff are contaminated with grease, smoke, or crud from the tow-ball.

Follow the advice on the Winterhoff (or AL-KO) web-site - it will instruct you to:

1. Make sure that any paint or protective coating on the tow-ball itself needs to be removed - 200 grade emery paper until you can see the steel ball

2. If you didn't so this, or if you haven't cleaned the tow-ball in a long time - then it's time to clean the tow-ball with a suitable cleaner. Either white-spirit or brake cleaner, applied with a clean rag and keep going until the rag comes away clean.

3. If you haven't cleaned inside the Winterhoff coupling - then it's time to do this as well - same procedure of wiping the friction pads with white-spirit until the rag comes away clean

Usual safety precautions when using volatile flammable solvents - especially brake cleaner in an aerosol can - wear gloves and eye protection, no naked lights, etc.

Robert

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Robert-I don't think its a very good idea to suggest white spirit, as I believe that this is actually a light oil and will therefore contaminate the friction pads. The same handling rules as those for car brake pads/shoes apply here - no oil.

A suitable brake cleaner can be bought at car accessory outlets. Meths is also OK. Both fluids evaporate quickly, which white spirit certainly will not do.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris, white spirit is entirely suitable for cleaning, as it is a solvent.

Just to update your beliefs, here is part of the technical write up about it:

White spirit is used as an extraction solvent, as a cleaning solvent, as a degreasing solvent and as a solvent in aerosols, paints, wood preservatives, lacquers, varnishes, and asphalt products. In western Europe about 60% of the total white spirit consumption is used in paints, lacquers and varnishes. White spirit is the most widely used solvent in the paint industry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts