Wires- fusebox and battery

Oct 3, 2018
Visit site
Evening everyone.
We picked up our 70's Carlight Cesetta yesterday and noticed the hook up has been wired to fusebox and battery but nothing else, also there is a hotwater heater with nothing connected.. any ideas how to wire it up or if there is a mobile caravan electrician who could sort it out for us.. We are near Bishop's Stordford CM22 area.
Many Thanks

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The hookup should be wired direct to the main distribution box (or fusebox as you call it) then there should be some MCB's which supply the various mains outlets.
The water heater may be gas operation only, what is it? I am guessing it is a Carver .

Have a look here for a local engineer: https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/find-approved-workshop

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Id agree with Damian. if it has a water heater it will almost certainly be a Carver Cascade.

If you caravan was manufactured before 1979, then it will not have had a water heater fitted as standard. But a previous owner may well have had one fitted, but the question is which model?

Carver introduced their Cascade water heater in 1979. The first model used a copper tank shaped like a mushroom, and it will have a red insulation jacket. The heater like the SB1800 was fitted into a hole in the floor of the caravan.

http://www.swift-owners-club.com/support/oem-handbooks/carver/cascade-mk1.html
Parts for the MK1 will be virtually impossible to find now.

The Mk2 was introduced in 1984 and was entierly different. It used an aluminium tank the shape of a fire extinguisher lying on its side. This used a moulded polystyrene insulation jacket and was fitted through the wall of the caravan.

http://www.swift-owners-club.com/support/oem-handbooks/carver/cascade-mk2.html
Most of the parts that may need changing on the MK2 are still available, but they are becoming more difficult to find

Oct 3, 2018
Visit site
Hi, yes I think it is a Carver need to have a look and maybe post some pictures so you can see, Im hoping one of you experts can help me wire up what needs doing or maybe know of someone who can...

Cheers
Andy

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It will be almost impossible to advise what to connect to where on a forum where we cannot physically see what is what, and carry out certain testing prior to power being applied.

I have already given you a link to people who can do it.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If this is a seventies caravan then it may not have any electrical equipment as standard, but given the age of these items they might well have been replaced by more modern ones that can run on electricity but have not been connected.. Presumably we are talking about the fridge and heating and it would need the model designation to be sure what you have.
Replacement models that can work on electrics will have a switch or something to run them on that so, if there is nothing they are presumably gas only.
A hook up simply to charge the battery is not impossible, but if that is all then it should be reasonably easy to add plug sockets if you want them, but replacing fridges and fires might be too expensive.
You might well want to contact the Carlight Owners Club who I am sure have the information you need.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I think the OP is very wise to look for a competant electrician to check this thing over. The problem is that the OP has no idea who acually did the electrical installation and whether the installer was qualified or a bodge merchant. You cant be too cautious with electrics and gas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts