Working for nothing.....

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
My daughter is starting Uni in Sept and is looking for a little weekend job (she already has one but feels its time for a change). She gave her CV to a restaurant and they called her to say how impressed they were with her CV, would she like to come in for a "trial shift" last Friday. She duly went along and waitressed from 6pm till 10.30pm. When she had finished she was advised the wage was minimum wage £4.77, and she would not get anything for her trial shift unless she agreed to join the company. She has decided not to take up the job. Are they allowed to do this? Should they not have made it clear before she started working that she would only get paid if she took the job? What about the kids that go for a trial shift and don't come up to expectation? Surely they can hook many kids in this way and get their workforce for nothing?

I'm thinking of writing to their Head Office on the basis of principle but I would like to know where I stand first!

Thanks.

Val.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Valerie

My daughter had a similar thing happen to her. She went to an upmarket hairdressing salon (it's part of a small chain) to ask if there were any part time jobs. Due to her looks and style, (not her qualifications by the way, but let's no go there), the owner was all over her saying she had the 'look' they wanted and that a lot of the customers are high profile footballers and WAGS and she would fit in well. (I accompanied her to the interview and how I didn't drag her out there at that stage, I'll never know. LOL!!) The owner asked her to come and work unpaid for two days 8.30am till 6pm as a trial. If she passed the trial, she would get a part time job to suit her around her college course. He did say, there would be no payment for the two days work.

She turned up on the date stated, along with two other girls. They all worked really hard. (Worryingly, though, my daughter was asked to mix up various hair dye solutions on day two).

At the end of day two, none of the kids were taken on. It transpires that this happens on a regular basis, particularly in the school/college holidays.

My daughter's case is slightly different because the onwer did say, it would be an unpaid trial.

Still sounds like they are being ripped off. Would any of us do an unpaid trial job? I wouldn't.

I can't help you with your query though I'm afraid.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts