Worth shopping around??

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I have been looking at getting a new awning. No rush so I am surfing the net for the best price. Needn't have bothered.

Vango Varkala 420.

Towsure £699.95
Leisure Outlet £699.00
Outdoormegastore £699.00
Charlies direct £700.00
Amazon £699.99
Glossop awnings £699.00

Dorema Daytona (size for my van)
Glossop £679.00
Renishaw £679.00
a2zcamping £679.00
norwichcamping and leisure £679.00
tenthireltd (ebay) £679.00

Isn't there are a word for when companies all price their goods the same? Whatever happened to competition?
mel

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Mel said:
Yes Mel, sounds like the dealers and manufacturers are operating a cartel.

If you are in no hurry, is it worth waiting until you see a good pre-owned one? You can often see them being sold by people who have decided to give up caravanning, or are changing their outfit and require a different size/type of awning.

Good luck with your hunt! A caravanner living up the road from me was telling me he'd bought a full-sized awning for £25.00 (yes, £25!) at a car boot sale recently. He wasn't very hopeful about the condition it was going to be in at that price, but when he opened it up later, at home he found it was like new! Lucky bloke!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I bought a nearly new small Aquaroll (complete with handle) yesterday for £10 through Pre-loved. I only wanted it as a back-up and saw one advertised for £15 ono from somebody a couple of miles away. I was willing to pay £15 but thought I'd offer £10 and settle on £12. So I offered the initial £10 and it was accepted straight away. :eek:hmy:

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mel

Re the initial Recommended retail price, I agree the prices do all see the same, however I've always found it better if you then phone or visit the dealer.

When talking specifics I always find they are prepared to reduce the price.

depending on the model plus also throw in things like free carpets or storm straps or extra poles if required.

If at a distance make sure you get free delivery.

I know its more hassle but if you are prepared to haggle a bit, no matter what the advertised price is there are cost savings to be made.

Cheers
John

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Doreema often do sales of last seasons models at a considerable saving. I've bought 2 or 3 like that. Unless you are really fashion conscious does it matter that it's last years model?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I have been keeping a look on Fleabay and Preloved and I am in no rush as the existing awning will last a bit longer, by which time the prices of this years awnings will be lower. as Paul points out. I was more interested to note the lack of competition between suppliers and how there was zero variance in price. I didn't research the price variance in older models but might do that out of curiosity.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure what size Dorema Daytona caravan awning that you have priced for , our local caravan dealer called Homestead caravans is selling the above from £449 pounds plus additional cost for various sizes.
homesteadcaravans.co.uk.
trust this is of help Royston

TRENDING THREADS