Would you do it again?

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Looking back over many trips this last year, four specific episodes spring instantly to mind and I say to myself, in hindsight why or how did I get myself into that situation?

1. travelling from liverpool to Buxton up the M6 Motorway in feb this year, The motorway infront had been closed due to an accident, so the sat nav gave me an alternative route, 3 miles longer but would get me out of the jam, so I took it.
Not knowing the area inbetween and towing my T/a, it ended taking me up and over the Snake pass in the pitch black and half way up in complete fog due to low lying cloud. Yes we got there but boy it was steep and twisting at times. would i do ot again???

2. again on a winter excursion, arriving in the dark onto a working farm type sight in a shower of fine rain mist, diciding if i swing the car onto the grass oposite the pitch, It will give me a great angle to reverse straight on, only to find the grass in front was more of a well manacured bog, The car drove on alright, but the moment I went into reverse everything bogged in axle deep in the brown stuff. Ended up a very cold and wet night getting myself out. then a cold shower in the toilet block as the heating was on the blink.

3.Found a great pub in cheshire with a small cl style camp site next to it with good write ups. Arrived to be greated by a freindly owner whom says take a large swing across the car park then enter sight and go up the hill to your pitch. All sounded fine until the car started to climb, but the length of car and caravan caused the back of the van to tip downwards until such point the steadies hit the floor. Stuck.
Ended up having to disconnect the car via weighting the boot to lower the suspension, once disconnected, lowered the jockeywheel so the nose was virtually on the floor and used the moover to get me up the hill. On leaving two days later it turned more into military manoovers getting off. lol.

4. At the end of our main holiday touring Germany, Heading back to the border of Luxemburg in the pitch dark when it started raining, Climbing up a long 3 mile gradient, windscreen wipers now on full, dropping down to 20 miles an hour as the rain is getting that heavy I cant see a thing, Next starts thunder and fork lightening. The kids screeming, Cars still passing at record speeds, (If I cant see how can they). and thinking this is supposed to be a relaxing holiday.

Id like to hope im not the only one to get myself into situations, did I learn from each of them - too right - will I ever do anything like that again? - im sure while im still caravanning by this time next year ill have a whole new set to add to the list lol.

This year so far 4200 miles, counties visited england wales France, Belgium, Holland, Luxemburg, Germany and very breifly 80 miles in Austria, 18 seperate camp sites and despite the above love every minute (well Almost lol)
Anyone else like to admit anything????

Cheers
John

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
went on a cl in west country and saw what i thought was the only hardstandin back onto it van down to axle heck of a job getting off no one to ask for help owner not there until i was off always check hardtanding on cl now

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
starlight, of course we will!
We've all been there, mate, and we'll all do it again. You just put it down to eperience, dust yourself down, have a drink, and start again.
That's the sort of thing that makes our hobby so special - you just never know what'll happen next!
You've told us about the bad things, now what about the good? You're probably like me; there isn't enough room on the forum to fit them all in!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
yaniya said:
very nice post i
like this forum

So do we mate, and we like it even more when it's not cluttered up with unauthorised adverts (spam). This is why I've been busy behind the scenes last night and this morning banning the spam merchants, around twenty of them including you..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Only ever had one real near disaster and that was of my own making. We booked the Plymouth, St Malo ferry and I misread the 20.00 hours time as 10.00 pm. We arrived at the dock thinking we had plenty of time only for the man on the gate to show us the ferry just leaving without us. We were lucky as there was just enough room on the Caen ferry for us to be fitted on but had to use the seating rather than the cabin we had booked for the night. My wife did sort of forgive me when we left the ferry and were passing St Malo on the way to the site as we were able to see the ferry we had booked still coming in so we were a fair bit ahead of schedule and the holiday went off as planned.
The best bit happened a couple of weeks after we got home, Brittany Ferries sent us a cheque for £50 because the ferry journey we took was cheaper than our original booking!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts