WW1 sites plus beach

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are looking at taking our 10 year old grandson to visit a few WW1 sites and then on to a park near the beach perhaps in the Abbeville area. Can anyone recommend a few WW1 site which would particularly interest a 10 year old; some caravan sites near these and lastly a site with swimming pool near the coast. Suggestions would be most welcome.

Ta Gordon

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Here's a link to Ypres - the ceremony at the Menin Gate is supposed to move everyone, regardless of age - and you should get other ideas of sites worth visiting from the website. It also mentions a campsite in Ypres http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/ypres_tourism.htm. Our friend is a history teacher, and regularly takes a party to the WWW1 battlefields. I'm sure you'd find plenty to interest your grandson, including visits to the trenches, war graves, etc.

As regards a beach site, near Abbeville take a look at the Camping Cheque website www.campingcheque.co.uk. La Ferme des Aulnes is a nice site, with an indoor pool in case the weather is poor, and is a short drive to the beach. There are others along the coast of Picardie and Normandie - and others may be able to recommend something.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Valerie... thanks for the info! Unfortunately I cannot open the 'battlefield' link. I was looking at La Ferme des Aulnes before your message and it was on my shortlist! We intent being there early Aug 2008 (always busy!) can I ask you if you booked whether directly with the park? Thanks again ...Gordon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts