X5 tow bar very confused.com please any help greatly appreciated

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all.
I have a 2004 3.0 D sport BMW X5 auto and looking to take delivery of my Bailey Barcelona this year. Having sorted who was going to fit my tow bar I have since seen that my car might need a bigger cooling fan to help keep the gearbox cool.
But there are so many contradicting views.
Some say that this is only BMW covering themselves as they have worldwide warranties so this is standard advice but some say that for the weather we experience in Europe then this is not needed and just BMW coining in more money.
I want to look after my tug and if this is needed so be it.
Any thoughts and views would be greatly received as I have a headache now not knowing what to do.
Many thanks.
Neil.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello Neil.
I tug our Sterling elite T/A with a BMW X5 2001 model and nothing has been changed on ours at all and temperature sits at normal towing .
I hope this helps

Sir Roger

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks Sir Roger. I think it's to help keep the gearbox oil cool.
But if you have had no problems then that's fine by me.
Was your tow bar fitted by BMW ? As the fan kit is updated as part of the job from a 400 watt fan to a 600 watt one.
Neil

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Yes BUT the factory fit tow bar does also includes a bigger engine cooling fan.Ive read about this on a BMW forum.I suppose due to its age theres no warranty left with it anyway.So you take your chance.Is there also a transmission oil cooler within the cooling pack?

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Seth You are correct.Mine is a factory tow bar and Ive just been and checked mine and has a 400 watt motor stangely enough.
But to way lay fears my Brother in Law has an 02 X5 sport and had after market tow bar fitted and his runs ok ,also pulling a T/A van.. No mods made
Sir Roger

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I towed with a 2001 X5 3.0D and had no problems at all. The towbar was fitted after I bought the car by an independant towbar firm
I now tow with a 2003 petrol X5 and again I have had no problems. I tow both in the UK and abroad.
I understand the fan upgrade was for the new shape E70 X5 and it was to keep up the warranty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts