X60 Tyre Pressures

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I can see how the maths works out with the difference in 2600 kg as GVW and the sum of the two axle loads being 2700kg. But I don’t see anything specifically in the HMG document that allows GVW to be exceeded.
It does't allow it to be exceeded. But it says "It will be listed in the owner’s manual and is normally shown on a plate or sticker fitted to the vehicle". As listed in the owners manual, it's the plated weight + 100kg when towing. I.e. 2600 solo, 2700 towing. To stay legal, the only thing you could add to go over the 2600 would be the tow ball load for the towed load (not bikes or tow ball load carrier).

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not sure there is anything illegal about it. Here is the plate from mine. View attachment 4153

Note that the sum of the axle weights is 2700kg.
The 1st number (2600kg) applies when solo.
The 2nd number applies when towing (4100kg).

The government page here indicates that the manual and plate have the relevant info, so the possibility to exceed the plated GVW when towing seems fine. The axle weights and train weight must still be adhered to.
The first number, 2600 kg, doesn't just apply solo - it's a limit of the fully laden car including the trailer's noseweight - if the sum of the two axle weights exceeds 2600 kg you'd be liable.

The fact that adding the two axle limits together gives more than the GVW is to allow for the payload position within the car.

Plating requirements are deliberately kept simple - so that police or VOSA don't need to do anything other than basic arithmetic.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
The first number, 2600 kg, doesn't just apply solo - it's a limit of the fully laden car including the trailer's noseweight - if the sum of the two axle weights exceeds 2600 kg you'd be liable.

The fact that adding the two axle limits together gives more than the GVW is to allow for the payload position within the car.

Plating requirements are deliberately kept simple - so that police or VOSA don't need to do anything other than basic arithmetic.
Yep - not disputing any of the above. None the less, the .gov page refers to the vehicle manual, where the limit is also clearly stated as being different when towing. If that is what has been certified, then that is the limit, is it not?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
...Although there are numerous threads where people have asked if they can exceed MTPLM as the noseweight transfers to the tow car. But I don’t want to go there.

I do recall some people asking if they can exceed the caravans MTPLM, but that was to do with the artificial difference between the NCC's calculation of MTPLM and the caravans plated axle load capacities, not to do with load transfer through the hitch - which does not affect the caravans MTPLM.

In the UK ( and the EU) the plated values on the vehicle are the legal limits. Just as Roger L explained later.

If you are pulled over and weighed, if the measured loads exceed any of the limits shown on the Vehicle's plate you are technically over loaded. The values in the vehicle hand book are not considered or enforceable as the hand book is not specific to that particular vehicle.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yep - not disputing any of the above. None the less, the .gov page refers to the vehicle manual, where the limit is also clearly stated as being different when towing. If that is what has been certified, then that is the limit, is it not?
Police and VOSA won't look in your owner's manual - they'll just read the plates.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here is an extract from the 2017 Discovery handbook. It basically mirrors the information given by Volvo apart from the speed difference of 60 mph cf Volvos 62mph.

The link isHere

Attachments

• 54CD2AA7-59D7-46FF-9430-971AA3DA3656.png
    54CD2AA7-59D7-46FF-9430-971AA3DA3656.png
    238.8 KB · Views: 7

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts