Yet Again F.A.O. Lord B. (Popular Guy on times)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From your posting under the heading of Prison Officers Strike I thank for the return welcome and the weather was brilliant - part of a day overcast and the rest of the time was wall to wall sunshine. Having gone to Brittany now for the second time it makes one wonder why people holiday in this country. The site was spotless, the district very clean and the weather brilliant. For the five of us the site fees and ferry crossing was no dearer than staying at one of the larger sites in this country with entertainment for the children should the weather be poor.

It would be possible to walk the streets in Benodet bare footed as they were so clean - no cigarette ends, chewing gum, litter, etc. The local people were generally very helpful and in the two weeks we only saw four policemen - two on foot patrol and two on push bikes.

All in all a great holiday spoilt by the fact we had to come home.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Glad to hear you had a nice time colin and everything went without a hitch.

Our next outing is to a farm just north of Twywn. We saw the site listed in the book of Sites with Seaviews. It is down a farm track then under the railway line. The site overlooks the beach and I've read that theres a natural swimming pool in the rocks. Plenty of rock pools too.

Every review I've read about the place has been excellent and one was from a Dutch couple who came for 2 nights and stayed a month.

Theres only 12 pitches on site and the owner, when I phoned him, seemed very laid back. I asked about a deposit and he said no, just turn up :O) The reviews also said how nice the owners were. I can't wait, only another 2 weeks to go.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Our next outing is to a farm just north of Twywn. We saw the site listed in the book of Sites with Seaviews. It is down a farm track then under the railway line. The site overlooks the beach and I've read that theres a natural swimming pool in the rocks. Plenty of rock pools too.

Every review I've read about the place has been excellent and one was from a Dutch couple who came for 2 nights and stayed a month.

Theres only 12 pitches on site and the owner, when I phoned him, seemed very laid back. I asked about a deposit and he said no, just turn up :O) The reviews also said how nice the owners were. I can't wait, only another 2 weeks to go.
Sir - hopefully the waether will be kind to you and your good lady and have a great stay in WALES. You see there is good in this part of the UK so I hope and think you will change your minds now about the Welsh hehehehe

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site

I have that book and must admit it looks good.

Might try it next year

Off to Sandwich, Kent, week tomorrow.

Edd

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What more could one wish for - a quiet site with good natural sea views unspoilt by Joe Public and a hobby close at hand - ie train spotting. I hope you and your wife have a very enjoyable stay there Lord B. and the weather is kind to you. I would suggest that you take a wooly or two with you though as it tends to get a little nippy this time of year on the north Wales coast in the evening.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
If you have Virtual Earth put in a search for ...

LL36 9ND

it shows the site and the drive down to the site is on a right hand bend. The drive leads down past the farm, and under the railway bridge in the pic.

Wouldn't Tywyn be best described as on the west coast rather than the north coast ;O)

May 29, 2007
Visit site
What part of wales are you visiting, it look awfully bleak, in fact i would have said that it look more like the Scottish coast.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi L,B

My mother sister as the rail way for the local pit runs past the bottom of her garden. In the days when the mine was run the trains were going past every ten mins but now days it seem your lucky to see 3 to 4 a day.

When I was young we used to stop the night and we had no trouble sleeping.

Mark

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
A place called Rhoslefain (or summat like that) just north of Tywyn, which is just north of Aberdyfi, which is north of Aberystwtyh, which is north of Newquay, which is north of Fishguard ;O) hehheh!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi L,B

My mother sister as the rail way for the local pit runs past the bottom of her garden. In the days when the mine was run the trains were going past every ten mins but now days it seem your lucky to see 3 to 4 a day.

When I was young we used to stop the night and we had no trouble sleeping.

Mark
At Clipstone the pit sidings were across the road from our house Mark :O)

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Ah that explains it, Very wild and wooley up that way! Plenty of sheep to chase ofcourse.

Don't let your dogs out your sight, people up there are very closley related and don't get out much. They might end up as someones lunch!

I see some tried to sell Aberystwyth on fleebay! Some in America bought it for $42! lmao

Joking aside have a lovely time, even if it will be very very quiet.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
A place called Rhoslefain (or summat like that) just north of Tywyn, which is just north of Aberdyfi, which is north of Aberystwtyh, which is north of Newquay, which is north of Fishguard ;O) hehheh!
Hi L,B

Did not now that there were mor pic when you clip on the pic of the train.

Were did you get that border of Lisa dog from.

Mark

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mark, the border I used is from Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006. Theres hundreds of different types of border. You can make your own to.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Ah that explains it, Very wild and wooley up that way! Plenty of sheep to chase ofcourse.

Don't let your dogs out your sight, people up there are very closley related and don't get out much. They might end up as someones lunch!

I see some tried to sell Aberystwyth on fleebay! Some in America bought it for $42! lmao

Joking aside have a lovely time, even if it will be very very quiet.
Please don't mention sheep incase colin reads this, he gets him all excited ... hehheh!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Mark, what pit did your aunt live by?

When I was a kid I started off train spotting at Old Clipstone. You will know roughly where I went. Opposite the Dog & Duck there's a lane which led to triple junction (triangle). That's where we went. The line that you drive under at Sherwood Forest park was very busy years ago but last time I stayed there I never saw/heard one train. I understand the line only goes as far as High Marnham power station now. It used to go to Lincoln and the east coast resorts like Cleethorpes and Skeggy.

I remember going by train from Welbeck with the annual Miners Welfare excursion.

The line that goes over the road by the Dog and Duck used to go as far as London (Marylebone). Around 4pm everyday there used to be 2 fish trains from Grimsby to London, they stunk like hell. Just down the line from the Dog & Duck were the Mansfield Concentration Sidings where locos would bring all the coal wagons from the different pits to be sorted and return the empties for filling. When we went there if a certain driver was on duty (we called him Uncle Bill) he would let us ride on the engine all of his shift. He would even leave us on the loco when he went to have his snap in the cabin.

The passenger service closed between Chesterfield and Lincoln back in the early 50s but on Sundays during the summer there were lots of excursion traffic from places like Leicester, Nottingham and the colliery outings from the Notts & Derbyshire coalfield.

It was a really busy scene but now all gone :O(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts